Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Papa Silver!


Today on this date in 1957, my father was born. He was born in Washington D.C., in a hospital that ran out of paper boy labels for his bassinet. Taking a girl label, turning it over, and writing boy lead to him having his own unique and unconventional label. And that's something he's always managed to live up to.

One of the reasons that I love my father is that he allows me to be me. I know he hasn't always been thrilled that his son played with dolls. I remember hearing that "Maybe it's time you grew out of playing with dolls." a few times when I was younger, and that would upset me. But he never really discouraged me from it. There were no times of him yelling at me for it, or punishing me for it. I know part of his acceptance was also my Mom's influence, but he allowed me to do it. Now a days he accepts it. Just the other day he gave me a small swatch of fabric that he had found. A while back when I was having a terrible time, he called. Not to say anything, just because he passed the Barbie isle and thought of me.

I am who I am becasue of my parents, and I admit sometimes his goofy, cheerful, attitude annoys me, I would never want him to change. I am truly blessed to have him as a father.

No comments:

Post a Comment