Monday, July 26, 2010

Wish it was Sunday, cuz that's my Funday Pssh, yeah right...!

Today started off with another domestic chore. I was talking to my mother about how happy I was that those cedar satchels were done and that I could start working on my doll sewing again. That's when she mentioned she wanted to see if I could make her a little remote control holder that she could attach to the headboard at night. That way she could put the remote away without disturbing my father if he was already asleep. And so I trudged off.
It went together pretty easy. It was a lot like the cedar satchels, just with a front pocket and some elastic. Also instead of the cedar it had poster board to keep it flat. I was able to use more of that fray happy fabric. Apparently I had another small part of it. This was was more of a beige/gold color. There's still some left, so I might end up making more cedar satchels just to get rid of it. That fabric needs to go. Anyway I made it, and got to the final step and flipped it right side out... I had put the pocket on the wrong side, so the hemmed part was showing. Anyway, it was also too small to fit the poster board so I had to make it again.
The second one came out much better, I used gold ribbon at the top and, more blanket stitch. It came out really nice, like really nice. I wouldn't say I mastered it, but I've gotten pretty good at it. No pics right now because the camera's batteries were dying, and I wanted to give it to my Mom right away.
After that I was able to work on some doll stuff. I tried modifying a doll dress pattern to make something else. I'm not going to give it away yet, but I can say that it didn't work. Adding sleeves just threw all the seams off and it just looked bad. I gave up and moved on to...
THE STEAMPUNK OUTFIT!!!!!! Yes, I took it out and looked at it again. I think the fresh pair of eyes really helped. The issue I was having is that it was looking a little mature, and not as cute as I would like. So I bit the bullet and admitted the problem. The skirt, however cute, was just too long. However modest it was just not "cute". So I made it again, this time a bit shorter. I kept the ruffle at the bottom, I liked that. I also made another underskirt, also shorter. It's cute, but once again I may have some issues with the bulk at the waist. But that's an issue for another day.
I also got the seams reinforced in the arm bands. So I can officially say those, at this point are done. Unless something drastically happens they won't change. So yay! Something done. Hopefully the other parts will start to fall into place.
On buying news, I'm not impressed with anything on sale at Hobby Lobby this week. I need to get black thread, but other than that there's nothing I need from there. Calico fabric is on sale still, but last time I was there I didn't find anything I wanted. I'm hoping to get some dotted Swiss, but we all know how impossible it is to find. Is there an embargo on it or something? But it will save me money. I also found a buyer for the Blythe pattern, so that's good. BUT I also found something I want to buy with that money. I'm keeping that a secret in case it falls though, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment