Friday, August 20, 2010

My Yesterday

I took the day off from Blogging yesterday. I was in a foul mood. My head hurt, I was tired, my sewing was coming out terrible, and I was just generally bad mood, also my shoulder was still sore from when I pulled it working out. I was getting frustrated at the simplest things, so I just stopped cleared my head in order to get into a better mindset.

I did go shopping yesterday, Thursday is grocery shopping day, and I usually tag along to get out of the house, and to generally get what I need for my next project. This week was different because I was skipping Hobby Lobby, "What!" You say? I know it's weird, but that's what I did. They had McCall's patterns on sale, but I think I actually have the majority of their American Girl Doll patterns, and I don't think they have any Barbie patterns. And whatever I didn't have I couldn't picture ever making. Especially since I haven't made anything from the patterns that I just purchased yet. Like literally, nothing yet from them. They also had calico on sale still, but I've already looked over all they had. Other than getting some solid colors just to have them handy I didn't need anything from them, so it's better to not go there, saves time, money, and sanity. What I wish would be to go to another fabric store, but there's no other local one, especially after Walmart got rid of most of their craft section.
I did go to Walmart though, we always do. There I picked up some bobbins and some binding tape. That's all I got there, and all that I really needed. Originally I wasn't even going to go in, but then I remembered the binding tape I needed, and when I was in that section I remembered that I needed more bobbins. Might as well get it when I'm there, compared to not getting it and regretting it later. I got 10 bobbins, so I hope that's all I need for a while. I mean it took me a year to get to the point where I even needed that many, hopefully I'll be a while before I go beyond that. I did check out the doll section in the hopes of finding something cool. They don't have the horse riding outfit that I want, nor did they have any Monster High dolls. I'm not into them, but I'd at least like to see one in person. Although I'm thinking if I find any second hand to grab it, just for curiosity's sake.
After Walmart I headed over to the Dollar Tree, another addiction of mine. Last time I was there I saw that they were selling poster board. I had decided to get some to use as a background in my photographs. I have the worst time making backgrounds for my pictures. Most of the photos I take for here are on the bookshelf, or on the desk. Now I'll have a nice set up to take better pictures, and I know I need better pictures. Also this will be better since the bookshelf photo sessions involve shoving the dolls on that shelf off to the side. Now I won't have to keep doing that. I did a couple practice shots with it, and it does look better. I still have a lot to work on, especially with lighting and focus. But it's a step in a better direction. I'm hoping I'll be better once I have my own camera, since when I do get one for me I'd get one that was good at taking doll photographs. Also from the Dollar Tree I also got some bandannas for Cindy Sad Eyes, a red t-shirt for fabric, and some hair elastics. The hair elastics are too weak for my hair, so they're banished for doll projects. I guess I'll have to splurge and get some real elastics, not just the chap ones. I needed to get some new red jersey knit, since the shirt I was using before was almost finished. These ones are factory seconds with issues, and they're really thin, so they work well for doll projects. But I did try it on just for the heck of it. (I usually do that for all my clothes I buy for doll stuff.) And it fit, it's a youth XL, so that's pretty cool. Yay for diets! That's all I got from there, still a pretty nice haul.
I'm leaving the best for last, even though we actually went there first. I ended up going to the Christian Second Hand store. We haven't been there for a bit, so I wanted to stop in and see if they had anything new. I skipped the Goodwill and the Salvation Army since they have a pretty slow turn around, and I'd been there recently. When we walked in there was a sign that said 50 percent off. But it was a little vague if it was certain things or everything in the store. Looking at the receipt it turns out it was everything. If I'd know that I would have loaded up on more! But I did end up with a bunch of stuff, more than I should have gotten.
The first place I hit up was the craft section, but honestly it was a little lacking. I was shocked, since mostly it stays the same. But it turns out there was a cart in the center of the store with some of the stuff, I guess they're trying to make more order in that section. From that area I found two things of fabric. One's this heavy linen blue and white plaid, and the other a white and light blue striped cotton. Not sure what to do with either of them, but I think it's good to have them kicking around.
Also in that section I found a doll pattern! Now this store does have a selection of random used patterns, like most stores. But I don't have the patience or tolerance to scan through them to see if there's any doll ones. Usually I just look quickly to see if there's' any old patterns (i.e. 20's, 30's 40's) or if there's any options for any craft/doll patterns. But these patterns were out in the open alone. Originally I thought they were for babies, but they're for dolls, the same patterns one for 13-14" and the other 17-18" so you might see me making one or two of them for Chatty Cathy. From online searching they're from 1973, and out of print. They're cut out, but looks like they're all there. Not too shabby for 50 cents each.
Also in that selection was another bag of misc stuff. You should know how much I love bags of misc stuff. It's all about the thrill of the unknown. This bag had some binding tape, iron on fabric, some trim, a couple zippers, and some really random stuff. Like a bag fill of made in China doily hearts. I have no idea what to do with those, they're pretty but weird. I have like 15 of them. And the most random? Hairnets. The bag had 30 or so brand new hairnets. I have no idea why I would ever use these, but it's interesting at least.
And last I found this darling little chair. It's so cute, and so well made. It's perfect for Barbie. When seated her feet just touch the floor. I couldn't have asked for a better fit. Although, it's a little tall on the back, but I'm just being picky. Right now Charlotte's sitting on it, usually she sits in an over sized tiki chair, but I swapped it for this new chair. The whole thing is on a box to make it higher. Might end up using it elsewhere, but I couldn't find where it should go right now, and I wanted to display it. Maybe Charlotte's chair is going to swap ever couple of months. If I get two more I could do one per season!
That'll be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment