Monday, August 16, 2010

Our Second Set it Aside Sunday!


Our second in the series of Set it Aside Sunday! Where I take a doll from the collection that I'm unsatisfied with, and work with it all day until I'm happy! It's a new series, so I'm hoping it sticks, so far so good.

So this morning I was looking though the collection trying to find who to pick for today's project. I don't like planning in advance, that's cheating. This way my mind's fresh and ready to get to work. Honestly, while looking though the collection there's not a whole lot of dolls that I really think need a re-dress. At this point if there's one I wanted dressed better, I would have done it by now, or at least started working on it by now. And that's a good thing, but then I remembered Donny... Donny Osmond. One of the dolls that recently joined and then defected from the Vintage Shelf in a matter of mere minutes. It's not his fault, him and his sister are just too new, also they are a bit of a specialty doll. And they don't really click with the rest of the group. I actually only got them because they were inexpensive, and I like having a varied collection. I knew if I passed them up then, I'd be kicking myself later when I had to pay much more when I eventually wanted them.

Here's Donny's before outfit. He's been wearing that for over a year, it's actually the first thing I dressed him in. It's a Myscene Masquerade Party outfit that I got from Biglots. Three bucks, for a ken outfit? You don't have to tell me twice, done, and done.
I started my search with actually looking up pictures of Donny Osmond, might as well try to make him something that he would have actually worn. That's the benefit of having a doll based on a real person, gives you something to launch off of. The issue is, the majority of the photos were really young Donny (10-13) or Donny now. And if I was guessing the age of the doll, I'd say at least 18. So I got a vague idea of what I wanted and did a quick sketch, here's that, ignore the Sponge Bob SquarePants paper.
I decided to go with a vest, with a collared shirt, and bell bottoms. I wanted to get the feel of the 70's but not go too out there with it. I like crisp tailored looks. After I had an idea of what I wanted, it was time to decide the colors. I didn't have any patterned fabric that would work, so I had to stick with solids. Deciding with an earth tone palette, I pulled out my browns, tans, and green. My Mom suggested that I do a brown shirt, with white matching pants and vest. That would be do-able, since last set it aside Sunday I made a Ken shirt and vest, so I knew how to do it.
I started off with the pants, I had to draft a pattern, since I wanted bell bottoms. This was pretty quick. I used the pants that came with Malibu as a guide to where the bells should start and how wide they should be. They were pretty simple, not much issue there. I was worried that I made the pants too small, but they actually came out too big. I used the Pajama pattern for it, since it's larger then the Ken pants pattern, and Donny's body is bigger than Vintage Ken. But now I have that pattern, you might be seeing it on some other dolls, heads up Malibu Ken when I get one!
With that done, I started to work on the vest. The worst part of it, are the rounded seams for the armholes. I'm terrible at doing rounded seams. I tried fully lining it, but that didn't work. It was too small to fit over his shoulders. Not sure what to do with it, I kept it, so someone else might end up with it. So I decided to try something else. Instead of fully lining it, I just lined it at the armholes. Similar to how the front facing works at the neck. This came out much easier, and looks so much better. I think I'm going to do that with a lot of my things. If I tweak it, I might be able to make most of my things look nicer at the necklines and armholes.
The shirt went together really easily, I don't know why, but that pattern is just so easy. Not sure why. Still need to figure out if the general torso pattern will fit Joe. I ended up using a larger sleeve pattern for it, since Donny's arms and hands are bigger than Vintage Ken's. I also used a larger collar to give it a more 70's look. Other than that it's practically the same one that I made last week for my one armed Ken (possibly named Edmund). After that Donny's done! I got everything hemmed, and added snaps last night when I was watching television. He might get some purple socks too. I tried making some for him, but they didn't work out so hot. I need to keep working on that pattern. But that's more of a frivolous thing than a necessity. Right now his white sneakers cover his feet, so that might be where that project ends, but you'd never know with me.

2 comments:

  1. So cool. Your work looks like it was factory made and not homemade. Donny looks very retro in his new threads. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you. You're going to give me a swelled head with all these compliments!

    ReplyDelete