Thursday, October 28, 2010

Check out my basket ;) Day 2

Day two of out little project started off with some work from day one. Nothing too difficult, just packing up the ones I had finished yesterday. I was waiting for them to cool so I could do it easier. I forgot how quick they are to stick to everything. I kept having them stick to the wooden spoon I was using, and even my fingers. I was a marshmallow mess! Thankfully I got all six packed away and stored in the freezer. Won't have to deal with them again until I'm packing the baskets. Well, that and when I have to make the final two.
With that done it was time to get into the actual work of day two. It was time for some actual baking compared to just using the stove top. Today I was going to make Oh Henry Bars, a family favorite. I couldn't find the exact recipe online so I'll share with you the one my Grandmother uses. She printed it in a (local) cookbook, so I'm sure I can share it with you. Besides I don't think she created this recipe, so feel free to use and enjoy it!

Oh Henry bars
Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups quick oats
1/2 cups Karo corn syrup (white)
3 teaspoons vanilla
6 oz. chocolate chips
2/3 cups crunchy peanut butter

Directions:
Cream together butter and sugar. Add oats, corn syrup, and vanilla. Batter will be stiff. Pat batter into 9x13 inch greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-16 minutes. While baking, melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Stir until smooth. Spread on top of slightly cool bars. Chill before cutting.
Here's what I got from that; Let me tell you, they are a pain to cut. I practically wrenched my shoulder out of it's socket when trying to cut them. Eventually I had to have my brother hold onto the pan when I cut them. Each pan makes four servings (per basket), so I made the the bars twice. I got them cut and wrapped already so they are all done! Yay for something completely finished.

On a non-cooking update my parent's box arrived from American Science and Surplus. It's a cool store that has the most random of things for discount prices. My father's been buying from them for the longest time. It's just fun to flip though the catalog to see what odd things that have this time. Although this go around I found two things that I wanted/needed. So when the box arrived I was pretty excited too, since there was stuff in there for me. First up is some fake white fur. I just bought fur recently but this was white, the other one I bought was blond. It was also really cheap. It's only a scrap which explains why it was so inexpensive. It came as one long strip of fur, maybe about two inches wide. I've been thinking about what to use it for, right now all I can think of is using it for the trim of Charlotte's Christmas dress. I was toying with the idea of making it into a fur coat, but it's not wide enough. That's a someday project. Oh! Also it SHEDS everywhere, I was covered in hair after touching it. It was like I had molested a polar bear, very gross.
The second thing I bought there was more of an impulse item. It was a Santa Clause tea set. I figured for 95 cents it would be cool to have. I'm kind of glad I didn't spend that much money on it. Now that I see it in person it's a little... unattractive. It's made out of that really icky resin material, and the painting is really shoddy. It's also a bit big for the scale, you can see Charlotte's hand in one of the pictures for a representation of scale. Oh well, live and learn. I can still use it for Christmas decorations, and if it gets broken I won't be too heartbroken. Also you can take the lid off of the teapot, and to do that you have to take Santa's head off. Freaky right?
Stay tuned for day three of cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment