Saturday, October 30, 2010

Check out my basket! ;) Day 3

Today it was time to dust off the kitchen and get back to work. It was another baked goods days, and one a bit more traditional; cookies! I'm not going to be sharing the recipe with you all. Not because it's a family secret, but because we didn't use one. I cheated and used the Betty Crocker cookie mix in a bag thing. At least we went with a name brand. I wasn't up for making cookies from scratch (I have in the past though), so we went with the bags. Here all I had to do was add an egg and butter. We did get a little fancy and add food coloring making one batch red and the other green. Here's a picture of that, but only of the green plate since the photo I took of the red plate didn't come out. It looked practically the same, except the color. I was hoping my father would take over doing this for me (since up to now I've done everything for the Christmas baskets) but he didn't want to. He did however help me so I didn't have to do it all. We each took a different bag and made our own batch, each a different color. I had green and he had red. We ended up rolling out the dough and using cutters to cut the cookies. Usually I just do the drop kind of cookies. It's more work to roll them out and cut them, but they do look good. Also we used my Grandmother's biscuit cutters for it. I'm sure that made my Dad happy, since it was his Mother's. It was probably the first time someone used them since 1989 at least (and yes I did wash them before).
We really didn't get a lot out of the packages. Right now it seems that people are going to get three red cookies, and four green ones. We're toying with the idea of either getting another package and making some plain sugar cookies to pad them out, or adding another item into the basket. We're waiting until we get closer to the finished baskets to make a call depending on space. Honestly I wish we didn't have to do either and just be done with it!

And switching gears from cooking here's something that I wanted to share with you all. Recently I won a contest over on "In the Pink" Barbie forums. It arrived a few days ago, but I held off on sharing it with you because I had so much other stuff to talk about, especially the cooking. I didn't want to overwhelm you all. The contest itself was pretty cool. The person giving it had two options, either the trick prize or the treat prize. The treat prize was a brand new Halloween Barbie. The trick was a nude Coca Cola Barbie, a Reproduction Barbie head, and a Mod Barbie head in need of a re-root. When you posted your entry you picked either "Trick" or "Treat", of course you know I picked trick, and I won! The person who hosted the contest shipped it the next day and it got here really fast since she was in Virginia.
When it got here I tore into it, super excited to see what I got. There was actually a lot of really cool extra stuff, and I love the little surprises like that. I got some candy (which was gone as soon as I took the picture.), some Halloween tissues, a cool Halloween ring, a plastic Barbie skateboard, that cute outfit, and an extra pair of sunglasses. Not sure what I'm going to do with most of it yet, but I think it's all so cool. I redressed the doll in Charlotte's 40's outfit for when I posted on the board saying that I got the package, but that was a temporary thing. I'm going to have to get her something else to wear eventually. Also how cute are her glasses? Midge totally is going to steal those, if she can get them away from Charlotte. The other night when I was watching TV I worked on removing the hair from the TNT head. Her original hair was pretty trashed so eventually I'm going to re-root it. Not sure what color yet, but I'm not going to rush into it, I have plenty other re-root projects to do before I get to that one. Any suggestions?
Stay tuned for Day 4 of the basket project!

No comments:

Post a Comment