Monday, October 25, 2010

The Sewing Cabinet Catalog, Drawer Two, Part One.

Here we are at at the first post about drawer two in my sewing chest. By doing this I'm completing my requirement on my to do list (finally). So let's get to it. Buckle up, it's a looooong ride.Here's the drawer in total, including all the stuff that's inside (rhetorical much?). It's about the same size as the previous drawer, but this one has a different feature. Instead of the spool holder it has a little drawer on top. It's not attached to anything, so you're able to just pull it out and get to the things below. Around the edge of the full drawer is a lip that the shelf rests on when it's in place.
Here's what it looks like without the shelf;These above items are what I'm going to be talking abut for today's post, although I must admit that I might end up talking about items in the shelf in this post too. It all depends on how long the post ends up being, since I want part one and two to be similar sized. Now onto the individual items.
First up we have a variety of rulers. The first one is a thin clear plastic one. It's six inches long and for the first time includes metric. Other than the world "metric" it has no markings. The next ruler is another six inch one, this one however does not have metric, only inches. It is completely clear. The measurements are molded on compared to printed like the one above. It's fairly thick plastic (You can't bend it at all). On the Bottom it says, "Koppers Heat Resistant Polystyrene". The Koppers company is still around, they started working with polystyrene in 1959. According to Wikipedia, "(polystyrene) foam scrap can be turned into clothes hangers, park benches, flower pots, toys, rulers, stapler bodies, seedling containers, picture frames, and architectural molding from recycled PS."
The final hand held ruler from the drawer is once again different than the rest. This one however is made from the more traditional wood. For some reason this one is seven inches compared to the more traditional ones that are only six. The markings are pressed into the wood (only inches no metric here). At the bottom it says "Eberhard Faber New York". Research shows me that that's a pencil company. I guess it's part of their marketing.
Now it's time to move onto measuring tapes. There were several in the drawer, and they're also only in the drawer, no other drawer had any measuring tapes. I guess this was were measuring tools were stored. Out first one is made out of canvas with a line of machine stitching on one side. It also has metal end pieces. One side is inches, the other is yards, but instead of breaking down the yards into smaller measurements it only goes in measurements of 1/8 yard, 1/4 yard, 1/3 yard, etc. The only markings on it are, "Made in Chicago U.S.A." and "For household use only".Next is another measureing tape from the drawer. This one is a bit more worse for wear compared to the first one, but it's not surpriseing since this one is made out of something like waxed parchment paper compared to canvas. It too uses the single strip of sewing along the side. There's one spot where the paper has ripped completely in half. In fact there's a staple that someone used to try and hold it together, but too has given away, all that's holding it together is the stitching. I'm thinking about repairing it with some acid free tape that I have, but I may not bother. The one has inches on one side like all of them, 80 inches in all. On that side it has the "Made in USA" label that we find on most of these things. The other side however is very different. The other side actually is to be used to measure hats. It also has the name of a company, E.R. Moore Company. Apparently they make "College and High School caps and Gowns, Choir and Pulpit Gowns, (and) Gymnasium Apparel" They're still around, although it seems that they've been absorbed into another company. Turns out my head is size 7 5/8, I guess I have a pretty big melon. Good to know.Next is another measuring tape. This one is very similar to the one I talked about above. The only real difference is the company name on it. I even have a sinking suspicion that they came from the same company that made the measuring tapes, and that each robe company ordered them though them. Our mystery sewer must have done something with robes, and they would get them in order to know what sizes to order. I'm leaning towards them belonging to a church and they were used for the choir maybe? This measureing tape is 72 inches long, and in somewhat better condition than the other one. Other than that the other real difference is that it's from Collegiate Cap and Gown Company, "Manufacturers of Graduation caps, gowns, hoods, and choir gowns." They're still around too. Pretty cool huh? My head is still 7 5/8.Now we're on to our final measuring tape (finally). This one is really novel, it's made of paper. It feels like the kind of paper that they make paper bags out of. I assume that this didn't get a lot of use since it's practically perfect and it's ... paper. It's an advertisement from Olson Rug Co., who are in fact still around. At that time they had locations in Chicago, New York, and San Fransisco. You could, "save up to half by sending us your old rugs, clothing." Did you know that "A rug that is too small makes a room look bare"? And that "The trend TODAY is to show less floor spade around the rug"? How about, "A larger rug gives the feeling of luxury and spaciousness." All of these are printed on the front with the measurements. It's 5 feet long, and has a copyright date of 1950. I don't think I'll be using it (or any of them for that matter) but it's cool to see something like that.Switching gears, here's something that I have no idea what it is. I asked my parents and they can't think of what it is either. It's metal and a little under two inches. It's got the words "Made in USA" stamped on it. You can pinch the metal together kind of like tweezers. Really have no clue what it is. Anyone out there know?

Next up are some corks, you read that right corks. Not sure why they're in there or their purpose, but here they are. This drawer had three full corks and one larger half cork. Maybe our mystery sewer was a secret drinker? I know sometimes sewing drives me to want to drink, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else felt that same way. Here's three photos of it, top, sides, and bottom. Corks are in the same spot for each one.Here we have a darning egg. It's black (plastic? wood? no clue) and six and a half inches long. Not really sure what to say about this. It's unmarked, and looks like it's certainly got a lot of use over the years. I've never used one before, but now that I have one maybe I will... or not.
Next we have some more pink elastic. I found some pieces of this in drawer one too. I guess it's pieces left over from a project. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it still stretches. I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll find a use for it, or I could just throw it out. I don't need to hold on to everything, right?Here's something that I'm not totally sure what it is. I think it's either a piece of marking soap or wax. It's vaguely T shaped and has a cross cross pattern all over it like threads been dragged over it repeatedly, which makes me think that's it's wax. It's kind of amber colored, not really sure what else to say about it. That's all.
For some reason there were a number of shoe horns in the sewing cabinet. There was one in the drawer (and one on the shelf too), this one is all metal which is different. The others have all been plastic before. It has a glossy black finish and is unmarked. I might keep this one for curiosity sake, but I have yet once in my 24 years on this Earth have any need for a shoe horn. Maybe that will change sometime and I'll be glad that I kept it, I really don't know.
And here's the end of the post. I actually knew most of the items in this one. Be prepared for the rest of drawer two, but don't get too excited to see it anytime soon, we all know how long it took me to get this one done. Whew, my hands are exhausted. Now I'm off to update my to-do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment