Saturday, October 16, 2010

This is cute, what's next?

One of the issues that I have with Charlotte is that she can never stick around in the same outfit for too long. She's so wishy washy that as soon as I finish one outfit for her, she's quick to think of the next one for her to wear wear. Meanwhile most of the other dolls in the collection wear the same outfit for years at a time. For example Ashley (Who've you met before) used to casually switch outfits from time to time, but then a Jason Wu school uniform arrived, she claimed it and has been wearing it for almost two years now. Meanwhile Charlotte hasn't worn the same outfit for two months. Sure, she does sometimes go back to old favorites, but she changes a lot more than the norm. Luckily Charlotte's kind enough that when she stops wearing something she's more than willing to share with someone else. Same if she's wearing something and someone else wants to try it on, she's more than willing to take it off and let them, even if it means she won't get it back. Right now there's nine outfits being worn by people in the collection that originated on Charlotte.
But this means I'm never done dressing Charlotte, sure I never add her to the re-dress list, but she's certainly always on the one in my mind, sort of a perennial list. So I was quick to start to think about what she was going to wear next now that I've finished the Little Red Riding Hood Costume. It's a still bit too early to begin thinking about her Christmas outfit, so I wanted to do something in between that. Also I still need to really think about what I want to do for the Christmas dress. Lately I've been listening to a lot of 80's music. I like a lot of 80's music, but I really detest the fashion. But when I'm listening to the music I feel my resolve crumbling away. Normally the 80's design with it's large tops and small bottoms design really bothers my 1950's Doir new look ascetic. But I find myself wanting to design something 80's for Charlotte, so I'm going to have to get over myself. Or I could at least adapt designs elements from the 80's to fit my overall vision. I mean if I could make the 70's era fit into the collection, couldn't I do the same with the 80's? Unfortunately that's easier said than done. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what I want to do, since right now I'm not finding anything to inspire me into what I want. Right now I'm finding a lot of pictures of what I DON'T want to do. Hopefully I'll find the inspiration I need, or else Charlotte won't get her 80's outfit, that that'll be a shame. A darn shame.

2 comments:

  1. You so need to try an 80s outfit. This is your inner designer screaming at you and telling you what it wants. While the 80s fashions wasn't all that they did have some nice design elements, so take from that and add a modern or vintage twist to it. You can do it! As for something in between now and Christmas, what about Thanksgiving, the much underrated holiday of all. No she doesn't need to be walking around in a turkey, pilgrim, or indian ourfit, but she could wear something that means "thankfulness" or thanksgiving to her. Which reminds me, I need to hit Walmart in search of Thanksgiving fabric for my project. Must try to do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right, on both counts. I need to try something 80's, but first I still need to find what I want to replicate. Something to inspire me. And yes, I need something Thanksgiving-y, I'm completely glossing over that Holiday, and that's wrong, plain wrong.

    ReplyDelete