Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bairly left my bed Saturday? I like the ring to that!

Didn't get any sewing done today. It was basically a laze about kind of day. Although, in some exciting news, one of my Christmas presents arrived today! It's going to be a lean Christmas this year, so I went ahead and spearheaded my own Christmas presents. If I don't get a lot I might as well get what I want, right? I'm the one that found the thing and had my parents pay for it. Even though I'm "in the know" I'm still trying to make sure I have a surprise on the actual Christmas day. When it arrived, I refused to look at it, although I did make sure my mother opened it and saw that everything was in there. I'm the one that told them I wanted to wait for the actual Christmas date to get the presents, although I kinda don't want to wait, even though I know I can. I guess somethings you never grow out of. I'm still waiting for two more things to arrive for my Christmas presents and I know what they are too. I won't tell you so you're in suspense, but I will say, that if I was a girl in 1963 I'd be having a very good Christmas. *Wink*
Since I have nothing to share with you in sewing I figure I should share something from Connecticut with you. I haven't forgotten about sharing stuff with you, just stopped being so gung-ho about it. So since I want to interest you I'll share something from my Grandparents house, and since it's almost Christmas I'll start off with a Holiday thing. Here was have an ornament, one that's been in my family for a long time. It's my Grandfather's, from his childhood. It's Mickey (Actually Minnie) standing on top of a ball. It's about 3 inches tall and made out of the thinnest plastic I've ever seen. Come to think of it, it might not even be plastic. It's two pieces. The arms are separate from the body, attached together with some metal. From one of the hands hangs a bell. I remember these from way back in my childhood. Each year when we'd set up the tree in my Grandparents house these would appear from my Grandfather's dresser. We were never allowed to touch them (they are very fragile). There used to be two, but somehow one went missing, that's why I keep saying "them". I have no idea what happened to it, and I wouldn't ask about it in case it was a sore subject. I just remember them each year because as a huge Disney fan they fascinated me.
Recently the last remaining one's taken a break from it's tree duty. Instead it's been placed in the china display case in the dining room of my Grandparents house. I like having it there because I can look at it whenever I want. Taking it out to photograph it when I was up there I think it was the first time I've actually touched it. Love this Christmas ornament, and each time I see it, it reminds me of the many Happy Christmas times!

4 comments:

  1. That is an awesome ornament. It's sad that the other one has gone missing but at least you still have one you can see. Maybe one day you will own it and share it with your kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, at least there's one left. It would be a shame to lose both of them. And actually my Grandfather "gave" me the Mickey Mouse stuff a while back. And while I might never take it, I treasure that he earmarked it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww that's so sweet of him. My grandmother gave me her fine china and I recently got it a few years ago. I'd say claim it later on it will be nice to have and look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, it means so much more to me that he even thought about giving it to me.
    The thing itself is cool, the act is what I treasure.

    ReplyDelete