Saturday, January 8, 2011

Merry (Belated) Christmas Everyone!

I started off Christmas with my own personal tradition, not being able to sleep the night before. I don't know what it is about me, but I've never been able to fall asleep, and stay asleep on Christmas Eve. Even this year when there's not a lot of mystery for what I'm getting, I'm still unable to sleep decently, I guess that mean I'm still holding onto my child like whimsy, or I need to start doing more so I burn more energy and I'm tired at night. Although it's not like yesterday was a sit around kind of day, I was doing lots of stuff, but there was still lots of stuff to get done today. It never ends.
So in the morning I stumbled downstairs to have my breakfast, and was greeted with a mouse. Not a live one, but one that the cats had caught and killed during the night. Luckily I noticed it pretty quickly and was able to skirt around it. So with my morbid sense of humor I took a piece of paper, folded it in half, wrote "To Dad" on the front, and "Merry Christmas, from the Cats" on the inside. Then I placed it over the mouse. I'm such a good son. I was still downstairs when he came out of his room, so I showed it to him. He got rid of it.
After that the day was pretty quiet in the morning. I spent it cleaning up what I hadn't gotten to yet, and wondering why my presents weren't under the tree yet! I also managed to watch "Santa Clause is Comin' to Town." while I was doing it. That was the only Christmas show we watched, even though we have plenty on DVD, didn't have time. I ended up finishing the cleaning pretty early and just had to wait... and wait... and wait. In this time my presents managed to find their way under the tree... or at least present. Sigh, I asked my Mom to wrap the dolls separately, so it felt like I had more presents, I guess she forgot. Anyway, it wasn't until around 2 in the afternoon that my sister and her boyfriend managed to roll in. It's like, come on people, I want presents now! They weren't here long before my sister asked if we were going to do presents, I guess she was as antsy as I was. We started off with our stockings, like usual. In the stocking I got stickers, a pen (like tradition), and candy, lots and lots of candy, which I managed to make a bit of a dent in during the course of the day (sorry diet!). There were also some card games and a small puzzle, fun little things like that. With the stockings dispatched it was time to move onto presents!
I started off with what my sister got for me. She got me a video game. It's Fatal Frame II, for the x-box. It's a type of survival horror game, that I usually like. Not sure when I'm going to get around to playing it, but I can tell you that it's going to be during the daytime! I usually have bad luck with those, because I freak myself out before I begin playing, and won't do much before I'm stuck because I'm not willing to risk it and be scared. Hopefully I man up and force myself to play it.
After that I opened up a box of crayons (24!). Each of the kids got one box (keep that in mind). They were on sale at Fred's this past week, just fyi. After that it was time to open the big present, finally! I held it off until last. So still sore for having only having one thing to open, I unwrapped it. What did I see? Everything was wrapped inside the box too! My mother, she's too funny. I've decided to not explain everything in detail in this post, but I will give everyone their own "introduction" post later. Inside the box I found four smaller packages, like mummies. Inside those I found; a vintage Ken, a Brunette Bubblecut, and a vintage Sindy doll. Not too shabby for under fifty bucks, right? I know how to shop on a budget. But wait, you ask, that's three things, you said there were four things in there. Yes, you are correct. For you see the Bubblecut came with a wardrobe, a bunch of hand made dresses. She also came with a bunch of cheap Barbie clone shoes, most of which don't fit Barbie. These were in the fourth package, along with the handful of dresses. But this wasn't so apparent, because... my mother had wrapped each shoe, individually. So I had to unwrap each shoe, it was funny/funnily annoying at the time, but now it's just funny. She's such a card, my mother. I have plans for some of the clothes, but you'll hear more about that later in her post.
After that the presents were done, and we moved on to other things. We ended up playing "Apples to Apples" for a couple hours. We all love that game, everyone always has a great time playing it. I got it for Christmas a few years back, but left it in Connecticut, and it only made it's way down south recently. This was the first time we were all together since it's been down here so we could play. We lost track of time with it, and spent so much time playing that the Turkey was done before we stopped (My Mom won, by the way). This timing would have been fine except it was done before we even started making the side dishes. Quickly we rushed to make everything before the Turkey cooled. We had to cut corners, I made the stuffing in the microwave, and the potatoes were instant (trick is, with those if you add enough junk they taste the same as real ones.). Even though we had to rush it all came out nice, since we all helped out. Then we all sat down to a nice family dinner. After that we opened out table presents, where... we received coloring books! (Remember that I told you to remember the crayons) My father got a dog toy, and my Mom got some lip gloss.
While we're on the subject, let me tell you the story about how table presents came to be. During my Mom's childhood, on Christmas, after her close family's Christmas she'd go over to her Grandparent's house. There, they had to wait to open presents. They had to wait until after dinner, but not only that, after dinner my Great-Grandfather used to go into the living room and take a nap. Leaving them all to wait in the dining room until he woke up to open presents. To combat this my Great-Grandmother (who I hear was a domestic goddess) used to get everyone a table present. It's a simple little item to amuse yourself with. Even though my Great-grandparents are gone, we've kept this tradition. Every year at my Grandparents house we do table presents, although I believe the quality's gone down. Usually it's something that you don't really want, so this year I wanted to make that different. Which is why we went with coloring books. You might never really need one, but sometimes, darn it, you just want to color. After dinner we were all so stuffed that we didn't even touch the chocolate cream pie that we made, so that's still in the fridge, yum. We basically just sat around talking for a bit before my sister and her boyfriend decided they should head home before it was too late. After they were gone, we all went about our separate ways. Although I did manage to get a bit of the Christmas decorations put away. They won't be milling around until Spring, I promise! What a great day.
I hope everyone had a great Saturday, because I know I did. So I guess it was worth the wait (I'll admit begrudgingly.) Stay tuned when I'll introduce the dolls I got. Exciting, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment