Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Always a bridesmaid, never a bride..."

So you know what's weird? My sister got engaged on Sunday, then my best friend from college got engaged last night! Literally back to back, and I'm going to be in both weddings. The first thing I asked my friend was when she was planning hers, since my November is booked. She said next year, which is great since I won't be double booked. Even though she's a great friend, if I had to pick one wedding I'd have to go with my sister's, but I don't have to choose! You like that header? I'm going to be using that joke a lot in the upcoming months.
On that note, I didn't get much of anything done today. Which is fitting because did you know that today is national goof off day? I didn't, but I feel much better knowing that I was following a national holiday, and not just being lazy. I did manage to get a few things taken care of that I was avoiding, responded to e-mails, put away laundry, clean up some around here. So, while I didn't do stuff as productive as I would like, I still got a few things done that I should have.
Now since I don't have anything exciting to share with you from today, I'm going to share with you what I did yesterday, but failed to share with you because I didn't want to drag out the camera. You guys might remember me getting some white calico and pink ribbon, well it was for the project that I did yesterday. For a long, long, long time I wanted to make a Regency style dress (Think Pride and Prejudice). This was one of those, wish I could make thing that I never thought I could make back when I started sewing. The other day I decided that I wanted to make one, so I started doing some research. I found a lot of good resources with pictures that were really helpful. I tried making a quick attempt, but I was working with the wrong material and pattern, so it sucked, plain and simple (Hello failure, meet trash can). So I looked though my patterns for a high waisted bodice pattern, finding two, one that was one piece, and one that was two. I printed them both out and tried them. I started with the one piece one, and it was exactly what I needed. I didn't even bother to cut out the second one. Why bother when what I had worked fine?
But I didn't have the right material, which is why I was so fevered to go out and get some white calico. And while I got some on Saturday, I didn't get a chance to use it until Monday, and if you know me, I hate waiting. So I started off making it yesterday when my writing was done...ish. I had decided to line the bodice so I didn't have to bother sewing the neckline. The rest of it is unlined. I did inset sleeves, the same ones as the Steampunk blouse, and they went in easily. I don't know why I'm so hesitant to use inset sleeves, they actually come out pretty decent for me, nothing like collars. (I HATE collars!) All this top has is some under-bust darts, and that was pretty easy. The top actually turned out a little big in the back, since the pattern is meant for a larger busted girl that's no shock. I ended up turning the edges under to make it not look as big in the back.
With the skirt, I winged the pattern, just going for a square rectangle. I also hemmed it with that heart lace that I always use. But when I went to attach the skirt, I found that I really didn't have enough to go all the way around. I tired making do with it, but I couldn't. I had to call it quits and make a second skirt. Luckily I was smart to realize that it could mess up, so I just attached the skirt with a number four stitch so I could easily take it off. The second skirt was much better, and much bigger. It was more of a bell shape than a rectangle. I was able to do the front pleat in the center that I originally had planned. I also used more of the heart lace at the bottom. With that the majority of the construction was finished. After that was snipping off extra thread, reinforcing seams, and adding snaps. I also added some pink ribbon to the waistband. Also I added a bow of the same pink ribbon at the center. The ends of the ribbons have been treated with glue. Let me tell you, sewing snaps though four layers of fabric is terrible, but I manged to get it done. It would have been easier had I bothered to use my thimble, but I didn't want to bother with it.
When I was working on the dress, I was also working on something else, a bonnet. I dusted off the steampunk pattern that I made and made another one. This one's white calico with the pink ribbon. It doesn't have the thin cardboard like the other one because when I tried it the writing from the box I used showed though. So instead I cut out some index cards, taped them together and used that instead. The back closes with more blanket stitches. That was all I did with it then, but it looked dreadfully plain. So today I added two small pink bows on each side of it, like at the temple. But I didn't do that until after I took the pictures, so you can't see them.
And so I managed to make the dress. Pretty shocking that I was able to make it so easily. I mean it took me several hours, but I still managed to do it. I don't know why I was so daunted to do it, every technique I used for it, I've done before. But anyway, I even gave Charlotte some appropriate undergarments. She's wearing socks and bloomers that I had just kicking around (No pun intended). I don't have any appropriate shoes for this outfit, but I'm not losing any sleep over that fact, if anyone asks, I'll just tell them she took them off to run though a dewy field... or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment