Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shoes... Shoes... Let's get some shoes...

I'm feeling much better today about all my struggles yesterday. I know that I should be more mature and not so childish, but it still happens. I'm just in a weird place right now. Lately with my sewing getting stronger, I've had more dolls dressed successfully than I've had in a really long time. Problem dolls that have plagued me for the longest have gotten clothing that I've found acceptable, or flat out liked. I'm not going to lie, right now, I think the collection is in the best shape it's ever been. Back before I was sewing, a lot of dolls were stuck wearing clothes that worked for the time being, but I really didn't like. I was just making do until something I liked came along. But now that I'm sewing I'm much happier with the collection and how it looks. Like I counted in my numbers post, there's 59 people wearing something I sewed, and a lot of those I made their entire outfits. When I started I was just sewing to add some minor things that were missing in my doll's wardrobe. And it wasn't anything that I was really proud of, I certainly had a lot to learn. And I certainly still mess up, and I have yet to make anything perfectly, but I've come a long way. Right now each of my top five dolls are wearing clothes that I made, and you know that I have really high standards for them. And I must say with my sewing skills, there's been another change, I've stopped purchasing commercially produced doll clothing, save for a very few things. I'm now able to be more selective over what I buy, usually picking the things that I don't think I could make, or just don't want to. The last thing I bought for doll clothes? That was the yellow hounds tooth Liv doll jacket, that was back in November, can you believe it? And honestly, I'm not missing it. With my sewing I get new clothes a few times a week usually. Although I will admit, I'm not completely avoidable in purchasing new clothes, sadly when one dependency ends, another begins.
Unfortunately my sewing is not able to fix my shoe issues. I can't make shoes, and honestly, I don't want to. That doesn't interest me, but I still love doll shoes. In fact the last time I bought some doll clothes I was really just buying the shoes. The clothes were tried on Charlotte once, but then went into the clothes bag, never to be worn again. The shoes however, became part of her steampunk outfit, and look amazing I might add. My search for the basics shoe pack should be legendary. The lengths and efforts I went to go for plastic shoes is insane. I will fully admit that I have an addiction, but I'm not yet willing to get help for it. Even now I'm planning on getting more shoes. Yes! I know, it's a real addiction. I found this out this morning, apparently Mattel has released a small shoe pack consisting of five pairs of Disney princess themed shoes. And you know that I have to find them, I mean, this is me we're talking about. Disney and Doll Shoes? I am so there. Out of the pairs, they corraspond with the Disney Princess'. Or at least five of them, I can make an educated guess about four of them, but the last one is a head scratcher. I assume the clear glitter ones are Cinderella's, the gold rose ones are Belle's, the blue ones are Ariel's (they're opened toes too.), the pink ones with the bows are Snow White's, leaving the red ones. I have no idea who they are supposed to represent; Jasmine, Sleeping Beauty, Tiana, or Rapunzel. And even though I don't know who they are supposed to be, they're my favorite, those bows on the back are adorable. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the coloring of them. I don't have much of a need for red glitter shoes. Actually most of these suffer from really icky plastic colors. The only ones that I actually like are the clear ones and the gold ones. So I'm thinking about repainting them, specifically the red ones. I think they would look amazing in a glossy black. I've been asking around for the best way to paint Barbie shoes, so if anyone out there has any tips or tricks, I'd love to hear them. Right now I'm thinking that nail polish might be my best bet. But first things first, I need to find these shoes. Hopefully my Walmart has them. My addiction needs to be appeased!

2 comments:

  1. Not nail polish! Nail polish has something in it that breaks down the plastic over time. You might want to try paint markers from the craft store for small projects. Carmen (Smidge House) mentions a kind she likes in one of her recent entries. It's worth a try. You can also try roughing up the shoe with fine sandpaper or an emery board and then paint the show with acrylic paint. Just some ideas, but stay away from the nail polish. And if you do try painting you will want to do it before we get real humid here because paint on plastic tends to stay tacky when painting in hotter months. Those are cute shoes and I may get them too, but I still want the Barbie Basics pack. *sigh* I fear I'll never get it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you're not thinking of nail polish remover? I know that it has acetone with causes plastic to break down, but maybe nail polish has something like that it too. A few people recommended it over on "In the Pink" and it seemed easiest of the options and I'm lazy so I went with it.
    I am interesting in those paint markers that Carmen mentioned, although I need them for some touch ups on Charlotte's lips, I didn't think about them for the shoes.
    They are cute shoes, but if you had to pick between these and the shoe pack, I'd go with the pack, even though the shoes are very repetitive (So many pairs of the same sandals) there's some really cute, very versatile shoes in it. Did you know that it's not a Target exclusive? I thought it was, then I found it at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete