Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Typewriter Tuesday.... for now....

Well, "Typewriter Tuesday" did not go along very well today. It went so poorly that I'm not even going to bother to fish out the image for it. I didn't even bother to open the word document at all. The issue is that on Tuesday a show I watch is online, and I can't help but watch it, as well as the behind the scenes video that also is posted. When that gets done, most of the morning is shot, and I usually get the most work done in the morning. So I think that while my show is still airing, I'm going to move "Typewriter Tuesdays" to Monday. This way I don't have anything keeping me from writing on Monday, and Tuesday is now free to watch my show guilt free. Thursday will still go on as planned, so hopefully this change will fix my stalling with my writing.
Also this afternoon I went shopping, which was good and bad. But first I want to say that I was asked yesterday if I wanted to go shopping, and I declined, twice! And I didn't go yesterday, but when I was asked to go today I couldn't say no, again. So my Dad and I went out. We stopped in at the variety of second hand stores in the area. First off was Habitat for Humanity. They have the oddest of pricing, it's like so random. Sometimes they will practically be giving something away, but something else they'll charge a lot for something. Case in point, they were charging 30-40 dollars for unfinished quilts, and by unfinished I mean they only had the decorative top part, that's it. And while I know and understand that there's a lot of work that goes into it, these didn't really seem all that overly complicated. Yes, I'm sure it would take me a while to learn how to make something like that, but I think I could. I just don't see how they were justifying that cost, especially in it's unfinished state. And on the other side they were having a book sale, a dime for a soft cover, and a quarter for hard cover. Like I said, no rhyme or reason. Now here's where I found a few things that I wanted. What can I say, I love books, especially books that are that cheap. First off I found "Mommie Dearest", you know the book about Joan Crawford... you know, THAT book. I had seen the movie last year and wanted to read the book, I was just lucky to find it in person. I'm also looking for the book that Bette Davis' daughter wrote about her. Or any actual biography from a variety of stars from the 1940's and 1950's. But this book came home with me, even though I would have paid more than a dime for it if I had to. I would have paid a dollar easy. I also picked up another book there, "The Doll People" by Ann Martin and Laura Godwin. It's a children's book about living dolls. I've had this book before and lost it, it's an interesting read, and I'm always ready to read a book about living dolls. This one isn't my favorite, and I'm not a fan of the potshot at Barbie in it, but for a dime it would be an interesting re-read. I think I have the sequel book up in Connecticut, so I'll have to grab that the next time I'm up there. There's also a third book in the series, but it came out after I was poor, so I haven't gotten it, And quite frankly, it's an interesting series, but nothing that I pine for when I don't have it handy. It's not like it's Rumer Gooden's "The Doll's House" (Which I love, love, love.) This book I probably would have left if it wasn't such a good deal on it.
After that I didn't really get much, The Salvation Army didn't have anything interesting for dolls or sewing. They had a sewing book, but it was three dollars, and I really didn't see anything new in it compared to the books I already have. They had one clone doll, but other than her dress she wasn't interesting at all. They did have a interesting looking bureau on sale for 14.99. It looked pretty old, and certainly had some damage, but it was a nice price. My dad kept asking me if I wanted it, and I kind of did. But I said let's keep shopping and at the end we can come back to it and get it if it's still for sale. Goodwill didn't have anything interesting (just one clone doll there too). Same for the Christian Second hand store, they did however had odd bags of random Barbies/Clones, but nothing that I wanted or needed. If they had another bag of random clothes and shoes I'd be all over that, but there was nothing there that I really wanted so I passed. Even though we were close to Hobby Lobby I didn't even think about stopping in. I e-mailed them my complaint about their price jump, and still haven't heard a reply. I got a responce saying that they got my e-mail and forwarded it to the store manager, but still nothing. Besides I don't have anything in the works yet, so there's no point stopping in. I am however in dire need of some more white calico, I am completely out. I did do a price check of it at Walmart and get this, Walmart is now basically the same price as Hobby Lobby. Walmart is a little more expensive, but for that price the fabrics pre-cut, I don't have to wait for someone to come and help me, and I don't have to make a special trip to Hobby Lobby. I still didn't get any fabric today since, like I said, I don't have any projects lined up, but it certainly was an interesting revelation.
When we were done with all of our other purchases we went back to The Salvation Army store. The bureau was still there. We picked up the price tag and took it to the woman who was at the check out line. She made us wait for the guy to get back to verify the the price since it was so low. "Why thank you for implying that we were trying to rip you off." It's like lady, I'm not going to try and rip you off over this, besides it had a lot of reason's why it was so cheap. It was missing drawer pulls, there was a lot of scratches to the wood, there was some warping going on, and the mirror was flat out missing. I'm not saying that she should have taken us for face value, I'm sure people try to rip them off all the time, but it could have been handled a little bit better and not made me feel so... accused. But I spent a little time with this woman and... and not to mince words, but I don't think she was the sharpest tack in the box. She seemed perfectly lovely, bless her heart, but there was something off. Either way, we bought it, but had to leave it there since we were in the car and needed to go home and get the truck.
At home I was able to get out of going to pick it up, we gave my brother a deal, either he could bring in and put away all the groceries, or go with my Dad and pick up the bureau. He opted to go with my dad, so I got to put away the groceries, which was fine by me. So when they got home, we moved it upstairs to my room (which was an ordeal in itself). And I'm going to have to say... I don't like it. It's just too much furniture for my room. Since it's so big it displaces too many things in the room. I had to move my old bureau (which it's replacing), but also the shelves that holds the Barbie clothes. I'm still trying ways to make it fit in the room, but it doesn't seem to be happening, it's just too big to fit anywhere. Hopefully I can find a spot for it.
But enough about that, I spent the rest of the day reading, "Mommie Dearest", in fact when I'm done with this, I'm going back to reading. See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice day. I want to try reading Mommy Dearest. I liked the movie but I always love to read the books because there is so much more in them that the movie left out. You'll have to do a book review and let us know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should do a review on it, I noticed that the movie picked the most memorable scenes, but left out a lot. I will note though that the "Pepsi Cola Board Room Scene" wasn't there (the don't f*** with me, fellas scene). But really Christina wasn't there for that so she couldn't really write about it.

    ReplyDelete