Sunday, April 3, 2011

The start of the week of cleaning!

Well, let me tell you, I slept much better last night than the night before, and have been less crabby today because of it. My morning was pretty low key, uneventful through and through. In some good news I found what my next sewing project is going to be. I'm planning on making one of the costumes that Moira Shearer wears in the Ballet "The Tales of the Hoffmann". I found it the other day on youtube and really love her costume, I like ballet in general, but I think this costume is really pretty. (Plus she's a "living doll", and I just love that.) You can see it at youtube here. This is not an easy task to undertake for a variety of reasons. First off, I don't have any materials for it, I'd have to get everything new for the project. Second, to keep the skirt as light and airy as the original I'm going to have to work with sheers, which I'm dreading. I've only managed to master (comparatively) cotton and jersey knit. And third, I can't find any decent source material to base my design off of. Yes, I have the video, but the quality isn't strong enough to see all the costume details. Did you know that she's wearing some sheer gloves? I didn't from watching the video. I didn't know that until I found a black and white photo from Getty images. That's been my strongest source material, and unfortunately her arms are crossed in front, blocking the detail on the bodice. There's not a lot of images out there, and most of the ones I've found are blurry, black and white, and taken at the most opportune time, from a costume detail standpoint. You can't tell from the video, but there's some bead work embellishments at the bust center, waistband, and shoulder straps. But I have no idea how they look, or what they're made of, I just know they're there. But honestly, I don't know if I would include them if I knew how they looked. I feel that bead work rarely translates well into 1:6 scale. I might just not bother and make the daffodil yellow dress and see how it looks, and only add something if it needs it. There's already a few aspects of the dress that I have to change to fit my skill level. I'll have to do a post about how I plan to do it sometime. I also did some searches into inspiration for redressing my vintage Ken, but didn't come up with anything.
I did think about doing some sewing, since today's my last day before I have to start focusing on cleaning, but didn't do any. That old, "shouldn't be sewing just to sew" thing. Instead I started my cleaning early, getting the dining room finished. I was supposed to be putting the futon back together that we got from my sister, but I needed my dads help. Originally I had bowed out of this chore since I brought the futon in from the car by myself, but since I needed to get it done, I volunteered myself since I can't count on my brother. But it never came to being today, my Dad had to help my brother with his homework instead. Which was all fine and good, but he failed to mention it to me. I heard him decide that little fact, but he was talking to my brother and not me. Thanks for cluing me in Dad. But that's beside the point, the dining room is done. So yay for that! Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, either the living room or the hall/stairs. It all depends on if the futon gets set up. I guess I could figure out how to put it back together on my own, but why should I? I'm not the only one living in this house.
Also this evening, Charlotte gave up her dress. With Cinderella here it just felt like it was time to move on. Although Cinderella still needs some hair work, and another bath, it was still nice to try it on her. I really think she's had a hair cut, because one side of her hair is much shorter than the other, but only bits and pieces. I actually had to cut some since it was too short to be in a ponytail. It's a little annoying that some kid decided to play haircut, but I can live with it. I do have her hair color on hand, but I really don't want to re-root her. It would be easier to buy another doll for the time spent doing that. So I'm just going to deal with it. Honestly, if another doll came that fit the dress better, Cinderella would be bumped from the collection pretty quickly. (She can go live in Connecticut with Snow White.) The dress does look pretty amazing on a Francie doll... But I digress. Charlotte's switched out to another one of her classic looks for the time being. I might dress her in something else later, but she needed something to wear tonight. I did leave Joe in his outfit though, but I am thinking that someone else will get that when he's done, but we'll see. I don't want too many people dressing in costumes or period pieces. I'm picky like that with the collection!
Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment