Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wednesday,

Another day where I can't get that motivated. I spent most of my morning trying to get some sort of fire under me. It failed miserably and I spent most of my time in bed. It wasn't until I ventured out for lunch that I was out of my bed for an extended period of time.
It wasn't until late in the evening that I actually started something. I was doing some research for the Skipper that I'm expecting. In some exciting news, she's shipped! As of writing this she's still in Spain, but she's on her way to me. I have a tracking number so I've been checking it throughout the day. Pedro told me that it could take up to a couple of weeks, or as little as a couple of days. Can you guess which one I'm hoping for? But before she arrived I wanted to make something for her to wear. I mean, I might as well since I don't have any other pressing projects on hand. That's where the pajama set came from the other day. (failure!) So today I spent a great deal of time researching young girl's fashion from the 1950's. Let me tell you, that's not an easy thing to find any photos of that. Everything I found were modern girls wearing poodle skirts, or highly sexualized woman in 50's inspired fashion. And neither of them would work for Skipper, especially the second one. But I did find something that I liked, it was a sewing pattern envelope. I find those are a really good source for inspiration for my sewing. Anyway, it was a little girl wearing a simple sundress. Honestly, I couldn't believe that I had never done something like that for Skipper before. I mean back when I started sewing for Barbie there were a lot of sundresses, and most of them have been phased out when my skills got stronger, but I never thought to make a sundress for Skipper. Right now out of my five Skipper sized dolls two are in pants, two are in pleated skirts, and one is wearing an a-line dress. Not a cute sundress among them. So at least then I knew that it would be different compared to everyone else. I appreciate having a variety in the collection. Even though if you really look at it, there's a lot of repetition with pattern pieces.
Anyway, with my project set before me, I had to draft a pattern. I didn't have a simple bodice pattern for Skipper yet. I really only have like 6 patterns that work for Skipper, most of which I adapt or flat out created. Today was no exception. Luckily I was taking a pattern with sleeves and removing them, much easier to go backwards than forwards. I did a quick test run on it, tweaked the pattern a bit, then got started on the actual bodice. This pattern was a quick success. Although, I keep feeling like the top should come higher on the bust, but I think that's just a mental thing, it technically covers what she doesn't have. The biggest real issue I had was deciding on what fabric to use for it. I have a yard of this purple eyelet like fabric that I've had forever, but I don't really like it, or at least I haven't found a use for it yet. I toyed with making it out of that, but in the end I decided to use the pink stripped fabric, that I last used for Charlotte's shirt-dress. I decided this even though I have such an aversion to pink. For some reason I don't mind this fabric as a whole, it's kind of pretty.
While I like this fabric, not a lot of things have been made from it. I think I've only made two things before this with it. And only one of them is being used by someone in the collection, and she's all the way down in the dregs shelf. Although, Mattel has a history of reusing fabrics in their doll clothes, so why can't I?
The bodice went pretty easily after I decided on what fabric to use. It's fully lined, so no hems involved! The top is made basically the same as the little cape-let I've done before, you make the basic bodice twice then sew them together. Flip it right side out and it's done. For the skirt I used a Barbie pattern. It's the same as the Steampunk skirt, just shortened. I thought about doing the hem with the row of soft pleats (like the Steampunk skirt), and decided to do it. That way I didn't have to deal with a curved hem. I didn't make them as tight as I tend to do, so it was quicker. I did the same when attatching the skirt to the bodice, making sure to line up the pattern. After that I was working with the straps on the dress. I think that when I added the straps I'd get over the wide expanse that was the top and it wouldn't look so low. I tried making two different straight straps, but they looked off. So I ended of changing them. Instead I did the straps like on the vintage Barbie sheath dresses. They looked much better. I manged to get the whole thing done last night, staying up super late to do so. I had to dig into my odd snap stash for it. I really need to get more. Anyway, while the dress is finished I need to make some things for it still. Since the skirt is so flared she needs something under it, otherwise it's indecent. I'm also going to make a head scarf for her. That way I can hide her hair under it since I can't re-root her off the bat. No pictures today, but I promise that eventually you will get to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment