Saturday, May 21, 2011

Well I did it...

No, not finish the re-root, that's on hold for a bit. I finally did that thing where I made a slice in my finger from making all those knots, from my thumbnail. It's super annoying, but at least it doesn't bleed. Instead it's just very sore to the touch, and I just so happen to need to touch it whenever I'm making knots. This usually happens when I'm doing re-roots, it's really inevitable. I remember it happened when I did Charlotte's re-root, and I just suffered though the pain. This doll is not as important, so I'm taking a few days off to let my finger heal. I'm not putting her away, since I know if I do that I won't get back to her anytime soon. Instead I'm leaving her and the supplies out and just keep moving them out of my way. That way they're always underfoot and when my finger's healed I'll be more inclined to finish the re-root and get things put away. There is a method to my madness.

Even after I was done with the re-root of the day, I worked on another project, one much less finger intensive. Lately I've noticed that even with all the clothing I made for Charlotte she usually goes back to the same five or six outfits. Usually they are stored in the bags with the rest of the clothes, except for one that has been kicking around on her shelf, her default look when she's between outfits. While I like having it handy, I hate having it just cluttering up the shelf. There's a couple other people who also are guilty of storing their spare clothes on the shelf too. Also on her shelf is a set of shelves that I store the shoes that Charlotte traditionally uses with her clothes. It's just so convient having all those often used pieces out and not having to dig though everything to find what I need. So I decided to make a garment rack for Charlotte. It wouldn't be exclusively hers, anybody who needed to use it could. I started off with tearing apart my room trying to find any hangers that I've accumulated. I only have a dozen or so, but it's a start. To make the actual rack, I bought more cabinet doors at Habitat for Humanity. My father drilled two holes in each of them. One up high, for dresses, and one lower for tops and bottom. I used more dowels in it too. Basically the same techniques as the thread holder that I made. It's a bit wobbly (I could have been better when taping the ends of the dowels), but that's fine with me. It's not going to be getting a lot of rough play or anything. It stands on it's own, and comes apart of needed (so it can move with me). I went though the collection and pulled out a lot of clothes that Charlotte wears from time to time. It's sort of a greatest hits of outfits. There's a couple things missing that I would like to add, but I don't have enough hangers. When I'm done displaying the "Tales of the Hoffmann" dress on my dress form, it will go here. Also I'd like to display the Regency dress, as well as the steampunk dress. But I'm going to need a lot of hangers for that last one because it's made of a lot of different pieces. Here's a photo of it. The clothing is as follows. Back Row, Left to Right; Mattel Wedding Dress, Charlotte's Pea Coat, Charlotte's Shirt dress (pre-blog), Charlotte's red Christmas dress with matching caplet, and the wedding dress I made recently. Front row, left to right. White petticoat, Vanessa's skirt and jacket, Ricky's shirt, Mattel red skirt, and Charlotte's white turtleneck. Since taking that picture I put away the petticoat and added that checkered shirt that I made for Charlotte a while back. I really need more hangers now. I wonder if I can find them locally?

No comments:

Post a Comment