Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sho... Sho... Shopping!

As of writing this, I'm still fighting with my phone over Zune. It's quite frustrating dealing with this, when it really shouldn't be that hard. I mean all I'm asking for it to do, is to recognize my phone so I can upload music. My old phone could do that, so I'm not asking too much when I'm trying to get my new phone do to the same.
So today I was required to go out, without any music on my phone. So I was not in a very good mood at the start of the trip. It took me a little bit to get out of my funk, but I eventually got there. Just frustrating, that's all. Arg!
So today we went to the downtown area to check out the stores, since the library bookstore is open today. They have a small selection of sewing books, but I didn't see anything that I needed. Everything they had, I had something similar that I don't really use that often. I guess I've reached my limit in sewing books, although if I see something cheap that I was sort of interested in, I don't know if I'd still have this same position. I did however realize that the next type of books that I should be looking into are fashion books. That's something that I could really use. I do have one fashion book, that I love flipping through and using for inspiration, but I could always use more. So that's the next thing that I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for. Especially anything pertaining to the 50's, 60's, and 70's, since those are the eras that I use the most in doll sewing. So I didn't end up getting anything there, since they didn't have any fashion books. We also checked the antique stores in the area, but didn't get anything. I even checked the shoes for a dollar and didn't see anything that I could really use, but I was there recently, so all the best things were already taken... by me. So it wasn't that shocking that they didn't have anything of interest. Hopefully the next time I'll visit they will have been restocked.
We skipped Goodwill and Salvation Army because we've been there recently. However since I needed to go to Hobby Lobby we went to the Christian Second hand store (we were local). I found a few interesting things there. First up we have this bag full of random stuff. I know I can't really leave those behind. This one was probably the worst buy from those I've gotten so far. In here it netted me a bunch of big safety pins, more lace, a bag full of zippers that I don't need (anyone need zippers?), some button, as well as a bag full of random stuff that was dirty and most of it needed to be thrown out. Oh well, can't win them all. I think that I'll have to be more careful with what I buy from there now that I've gotten a bad egg from them. I also hit up their fabric section. It was much bigger than it was last time. They even had some large spools of fabric. My father told me that I should looking into them, but they were pretty terrible and I don't know what I would do with all that fabric, unless I decided to make everyone matching clothes with it. I did find some interesting fabrics in the bundled up section. First off we have this brown calico with hearts and flowers patterns on it. I'm always on the hunt for era specific patterns when I'm out shopping. This one was so nice and 70's I just had to have it. I got three yards for two dollars. I could have gotten one and a half yards for a dollar, but for a dollar more I could get twice as much. I can't pass up a deal like that. Although with that much fabric, I can dress a great deal of the collection in matching clothes, it's going to be around for a while. That's not the only fabric I bought there, I also found something else, something really adorable. It's the most darling Raggedy Ann and Andy fabric. I knew as soon as I saw it I had to get it. If I left it I would regret it for the rest of my days. I have a soft spot for Raggedy Ann, I remember reading those books when I was a child. Even now I have a couple of her books over on the bookshelf and I like to re-read from time to time. For a dollar I knew that I had to have this fabric, no matter how much fabric was actually in the bundle. It's actually like a yard and a half uncut. From the copyright date printed on it says it's from 1978, so I doubt I'd find something like that elsewhere. I'm still not sure what project to use it for, I'm still trying to find a some way to make the fabric work for Barbie sized dolls. When I showed to to my mother she reminded me that it's a perfect size for Chatty Cathy... duh! I totally forgot that I had another scale sized doll in the collection. Silly me!
That's not all I got there. I also found a second box full of sewing machine attachments and feet. I'm not really sure what everything is (some of it unmarked so it's harder to research), but I did get another ruffler, another quilter, plus a drop in bobbin case. That's all I really know, so I guess I'll be doing some research again soon. Although, when I got home and tried to fit them on my machine, they didn't fit. So they're really not that useful unless I get another sewing machine, and I'm really trying to avoid doing that. But I guess I can use the box and sell the things? I don't know.
At Hobby Lobby I got some white Jersey knit, finally. I'm almost out of the thin stuff, and I like using that for Barbie's socks and underwear. Took me several years to use up the last yard I bought, so I'm sure this is going to last a while, especially since I'm not making turtlenecks every five minutes. It was on sale, which is why I decided to get it this week, 3.99 per yard. I also got a yard of tulle. My sister was talking about a project where we were adding gathered straps of tulle to her wedding dress. Originally I said I'd help her do it, but I'm feeling a little guilty for how little I'm actually helping out at the Wedding, that I'm willing to do it for her. So I bought the tulle as a pre-purchase so she can at least see what she was talking about. Not sure if it's the exact piece she will want to use, but if not I can always use it on my own projects. Do you know how much it cost? 1.09. How come it's so cheap?
So that's what I got today, lots of supplies for projects I haven't thought up yet (and a few lemons). Here's hoping for a stroke of genius to hit me!

No comments:

Post a Comment