Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Today's Tuesday, right?

Today I got a bit of a late start, I even didn't get to finish all four things off my to-do list, I had to bump one of them to tomorrow. In my defense I had a lot of little things I needed to get done, so I was able to cross those off my list, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get that last thing squared away.
Today was also stalled by the fact that it was a shopping day, you know how I just love those. We managed to hit up all three second hand stores, but I didn't see anything that interested me. Which is fine, I don't need to get stuff everywhere we go. We did go to Walmart, but I didn't even bother to look at the toy section, I know there's nothing there for me. I just hope whatever comes next from the major toy companies is more interesting, although from what I've already seen it's not looking good.
I also stopped in at Hobby Lobby to pick up some things. I meant to pick up some tulle for myself, but I forgot to get some. Will have to remember that for next time. But I was also on a quest for something. Lately...sigh, I have to say it. Lately, I've been bored with cotton. While I love cotton and it's many uses, I've just been noticing it's limitations from a design aspect. It's just not as formal as I'd like it to be. Lately I've been more dare I say it? Stunt sewing compared to making regular clothes. I mean look at the "Tales of the Hoffmann" dress, how practical is that? Since so many of the dolls have been dressed now I'm able to do more "out there" sewing. More for clothes that aren't meant to be worn all year round. So I've been looking out for a fabric that's similar to cotton in it's easy to work with, but is fancy enough to use for formal gowns. Sadly it's slim pickings out there for me. Walmart doesn't have a fabric section anymore, (although I hear some of them are coming back) and other than Hobby Lobby the only local fabric store is for quilters, so they would really just have cotton. So I set my sights to see what Hobby Lobby had. Most of it were fabrics that I've decided were not to my liking. Not a fan of working with lame, and I still detest working with satin. So today I found something that will be interesting to try. If I remember the name correctly, it's organza? (Although it's made of polyester.) I was hoping to be able to find a jewel tone in a blue or green color, but they didn't have that. The closest I found was this burgundy red color. They also had black, white, cream, and some other colors I forget... some orange looking mess, but nothing blue or green. A very limited selection. It was 6.99 a yard. So I decided to get a yard of it, as well as pick up some matching thread for it. The reason why I decided on a yard was that I had a forty percent off coupon, so I might as well make it worth it. I also picked up another spool of that thin white ribbon since like I said yesterday I'm almost out. My total ended up being eight something. But I will say I got stuck in a slow line when checking out. I was behind a woman who was buying a ton of decorative junk, then she paid by a check, which she took forever to fill out. Then after she had filled out the check, she got and took a call on her cell phone. Which is not a big deal, but the cashier was waiting to get her license so she could finish processing her check. Luckily the woman's daughter was there so she could get it on her mother's behalf. But still such a hassle. But I finally made it to the checkout , and I was able to use the coupon on my smart phone, I don't need to print it out each week. That's another benefit of this new phone.
I didn't get a chance to use any of my new purchases today, it was late when we got back home, and I really don't have the project that I'm going to use it on finished. Right now I'd say I'm ninety percent decided. I just need to decide a couple more things before I start. Also we had pizza for dinner, so that kept me preoccupied. We tried Godfather's Pizza for the first time. It was okay, not the best, not the worst. I will say that their sauce was a little sweet (and I hate sweet sauce), but also their menu was hard to read (it was really, really blurry) and very misleading. It needs the word "or" on it in a few places. I don't think we'll be back there anytime soon.
And the search for a decent pizza begins anew!

No comments:

Post a Comment