Saturday, July 30, 2011

Today's agenda? Baking

I started off this morning by baking a cake, and some cupcakes. The reason? It was a dry run for next Wednesday. I've mentioned a few times that my sister is getting married in November. Well on the 5th is her wedding shower... in Connecticut. I'm technically hosting it, but up to this point I've been just a figure head. Seriously it started off as a small thing with my Mother and I and has blossomed into this bigger thing where I really haven't had any say in the whole ordeal. Originally we were going to make everything down here and truck it up, but now everything is being done up in Connecticut.
Everything except desserts, we still get to do that. What I'm planning is making several different cakes. One single 9" cakes, per box mix, with the rest being made into cupcakes. Right now we have planned out chocolate, red velvet (the groom's favorite), tomato soup cake (the bride requested it), as well as vanilla. The Bride threw a wrench into the works the other day by asking to make Rainbow Cake. A cake made up of different colored layers. We bought all the supplies for it. But nobody is thrilled about that last one. It's a bit more difficult that our usual cake making skills. So I might end up taking over the rainbow cake for my mom, which I totally don't want to. But she seems really hesitant about doing it.
So today was a test run, seeing how well splitting up the batter into the cupcakes and the cake pan worked, as well as playing around with the food coloring. I was also able to play around with my decorating ideas. The cake came out... well. Certainly acceptable as a cake, but I now know several things I need to work on before the actual cooking day. Wish me luck people, I'm going to need it. Lots of cake to make before the week is over. *sigh*, and I don't get to eat any of the later ones. (Did I mention that I'm not going to even go to the shower? Which I'm NOT upset about, it sounds like it's going to be as boring as all get out.)
So in the afternoon, I didn't feel like doing much. Don't have an exact project at the moment or the motivation to start something. Instead I played around online, and I managed to find my next big project. Haven't had one of those since the Tales of the Hoffmann dress. I'm going to make Cinderella's dress! No, not the classic Disney versions, there's already enough versions out there and it would be cheaper to buy one of those than make it, instead I'm going to replicate the dress Cinderella wears in a vintage golden book that I remember from my childhood. I don't have the book anymore, but I still love the art direction of the book. What's unusual about the book is that while everyone looks like they should, and most of the costumes are the same from the movie, except Cinderella's ball gown. The silhouette is the same, but it's pink and white, and there are several changes from the movie version. While I like the original dress the best, this pink dress is also stunning.
So I'm going to give this dress it's due by creating it. I don't have any of the supplies, and I need to work on translating the drawing to an actual design. Hopefully my next trip to Hobby Lobby will net me some interesting choices. (Although, I'm still trying to be good and not spend any money.) I do know that I'm going to be changing one thing right off the bat. The dress has two ribbons on the skirt, one high one low. I'm going to make them even. I hate the uneven look of them, and I know it will bug me if I do it. So I'm going to change it, even if it isn't totally accurate. Just so you know what I'm talking about, here's a photo of the dress. I do not own this image, I swiped it from online. It's just for illustrative purposes, I will remove it if asked. Pretty right? Any suggestions or recommendations? I would love to hear any thoughts on how to do the sleeves, or any thoughts on what to do for that scalloped trim on it. Or any other general advice somebody wants to share.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could help you but I know nothing about patterns. I hope everything goes well for the party with your cakes. They sound delicious

    ReplyDelete