Saturday, October 15, 2011

Out and about in the town!

Got a chance to go out shopping today, and of course I went. Today was a fun shopping trip, so I got to hit up all of the local antique stores.
And..
I...
Didn't...
Get...
A...
Thing...
...
There.
I really wasn't even planning on going to those places. I had been to all of them recently, and they don't have that quick of a turn around. But my Dad went, and so did I. I saw that the Malibu Barbie and Ken was still there, as well as the 187 dollar Skooter. I'm still not interested in any of them. I checked in at the dolls in the cases at the other store. Again, not really interested with any of the dolls there either. I guess I'm at a weird impasse with the dolls. Maybe when I finally start getting the hordes of naked dolls around here dressed, I'll start wanting more.
Anyway, we also hit up all the second hand stores in the area as well. Again, not much luck there. I did manage to find a Barbie pattern at the Salvation Army. It's Simplicity 8466, an extremely Mod pattern. It's been cut out, but I think that it's all there. I actually have this pattern in a digital format, but whenever I find doll sewing patterns, I'm compelled to get them. But only if I have a doll of that size so at least I can control myself in some aspect. Plus, this was only 49 cents, so I figured I could splurge. That was the only thing of interest that I found in all three stores. But that's what happens, thrill of the hunt and all.
But that was not the end of the adventures. We also stopped in at Walmart, from my asking. I was wondering if they had finished setting up their fabric section from yesterday. They had... not? It really looked the same as it was yesterday. It was only about half full. I wonder if they're going to fill it up eventually, but didn't have room on the truck for it all the first go around. Most of the bolts were still not labeled, so no idea of the prices. I did have to buy some fabric, couldn't resist it. I bought these three pieces, got a half yard each. I got this gray camouflage nylon for a non doll repair project, this lovely yellow, green, and blue floral cotton, and this orange flowered cotton (I think this is some sort of lining, it's a bit more sheer than I was expecting). Want to know how much it set me back? Three dollars. Can you believe it? I didn't see a lot of other fabrics that I had to have, but that could change. Right now they only have a small amount put out. So maybe they'll get more that I can use. I'm just happy that the fabric section is back. I was tired of just having Hobby Lobby as a source. I need variety!
I already started using some of my new fabrics. I decided I wanted to make one of the dresses from the pattern I bought. View 1 actually. I was actually trying to be really good and follow the instructions and everything, but when I went to try it on the doll, it was huge! Like, you had room for another doll in the top, and I know I made sure I was using wide enough seam allowances. I have a habit of using smaller than recommended seam allowances. But this was just too big. So I ended up taking it in in several places. It's now a fitted bodice compared to a regular drop waist. But at least I tried the pattern, so I can at least say that. I also got rid of the eyelet material at the neck, it looked silly, like she was in a neck brace. So even though I made it from the pattern, and followed the instructions, I ended up with an original dress. And I like it! Which is really great since I've been having such a dry spell, creative wise. I guess all that I really needed was some new fabric!
No pictures yet (you can see it when it's finished), I hope you all like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment