Monday, November 7, 2011

Dear Universe, you suck

Heads up, this is going to be a rather complain-y post. More so than usual, so feel free to skip it if you don't want to hear that.
So this afternoon I headed out to town. I still needed to pick up a few things for Christmas and the Wedding. Both events are quickly approaching. Luckily it wasn't anything for the baskets, so far so good with supplies for those. Instead I was picking up two presents, as well as some new formal shoes for me. Also while I was out I decided that I was going to finally buy Gloom Beach Frankie. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I decided that I wanted to get her. I've been in a bit of funk lately, so I figured that a new doll would either snap me out of it, or drive me deeper into my depression. Either was I was ready to get her and find out what would happen.
But before I went to a store, I went to Goodwill. Not to shop, but to donate. I've finally been motivated (frustrated by the lack of space) to get around to donating some stuff. It was just some of my now too large clothing. It's been kicking around for over a year now and I have no intentions of being that size again, so it's pointless keeping it and filling up a hall closet. So I picked though it (in an annoyed rage) and picked most if it to donate. And I got that done, but it's weird, driving to the store I had an odd feeling of... regret? I still have it, and it's been a couple of hours since then. I feel bad giving them away, even though they don't do anything other than take up space. I'm sure it'll pass, but it's not a nice feeling. But I donated them and got that off my back. I didn't even get a receipt, I donated it all for the greater good. So I'm not saying the universe owed me some good karma... but it be nice.
After that we went to Walmart. We got some mixed nuts for my Grandfather, and some Hotwheel cars for my cousin. So in good news Christmas shopping is done. I'm not sure why I was saddled with the task of all the Christmas shopping, but I did it, every single thing, including wrapping. After that I hit up the Monster High Section to look for Frankie... and guess who wasn't there? The entire section was picked clean, which is weird because last time I was there it was pretty full, and that wasn't that long ago. I guess that's what happens when I want something. The only Gloom Beach character I saw was the guy. They were even totally out of the Dead Tired line save for two Ghoulia dolls. It was so disappointing. I finally decided that I was going to get her and she's all sold out. Stupid Walmart and their stupid lack of toys. I mean, I understand if these were new toys, but this line has been out for a while. Grumble, Grumble...
Still smarting from the lack of Frankie, I checked out the shoe section. When did shoes get so expensive? Every single one of the formal shoes were 24 dollars. It just seems so excessive for shoes to me. I mean, the last time I bought shoes they were 20 dollars. And yes, that was a few years ago but the jump of four dollars just feels so extreme? I know things are more expensive to ship and produce, but four dollars still seems like a lot. I also checked out Payless Shoes, but they were even worse. The majority of the shoes there were forty dollars. I guess they're pay less than some other places, but they were still too much for me. My dad also dragged me to the mall to look at shoes. Even though I knew that they were going to be more expensive than Walmart of Payless, and sure enough they were. I let him take me to two stores before I basically told him we were leaving. I did not end up getting shoes today. It was ridiculous!
Before heading home we also hit up Big Lots. I remembered they also had Monster High dolls. So we went in and I headed to toys. And yes, they had Gloom Beach Frankie, except she was 13 dollars. I honestly thought Big Lots was supposed to be a "cheaper than most" store. Every single Monster High doll was 13 dollars, which I understand for the dressed dolls, but these were just the cheaper bathing suit dolls. Walmart sells them for 10, so I can't justify the mark up for this store. I really don't understand Big Lots. I saw several things there that I've seen for the same price elsewhere. What's the point of being a close out store when your prices don't reflect that? Without decent prices you're just a Walmart with a higher mark up and less consistent stock. I can't think of the last thing I bought at a Big Lots.
And with prics like that I understand why.
Hopefully my good Karma is the slow acting kind...

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I've been to BL's several times and in some cases their pricing was higher than some stores. I think it's like everything else without the competition of other close out stores they seem to rule.

    I too am cheap when it comes to buying certain items. I remember being able to find a pair of shoes at Payless and the sort under $20. It seems that everything has gone up. I find that if it's a doll you really want better to get it now for the $13 instead of maybe having to resort to ebay for more $$

    ReplyDelete