Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Musing about my Muses...

Last night before bed I did some counting of the collection, I do this from time to time. It's like counting sheep, if sheep were 12 inches tall and made of plastic. I usually pick an arbitrary grouping and count thru the collection to see how many fall under it. One of those groups I picked to count were dolls I got last year. Turns out 24 new dolls joined the collection in the past year. That's a pretty impressive number, especially when you remember that I'm only collecting vintage at the moment (although Pierre snuck in there), and the fact that I'm pretty cheap. That's an average of two per month. Although I point out while I added 24, a great deal of them are currently seated on the Naked Party Pad waiting to be dressed. So they're not officially part of the main collection. They're like pledges attempting to join the Fraternity (can I call it that if most of them are women?), they have to pass initiation.
I even counted the new dolls for this year so far, and I'm up to four, again two per month. It's weird how that works out. I've already reached my quota for new dolls this month and it's only the 8th! I'm going to have to start being good or else I'm going to throw my average off!
But this number got me thinking about this a little more subjectively. When getting two new dolls a month is basically means that I should dress a doll every two weeks in order to keep up with the new dolls. And we all know that doesn't happen. Usually I get about one dressed doll per month, (if I'm lucky) which explains the gaggles of nude dolls I have kicking around. And quite honestly if I keep going at the rate I'm going I may never see light at the end of the tunnel. It's no wonder that I'm always feeling like I'm treading water with getting the nude dolls dressed, I'm literally bringing in much more than I can sew for. So I must begrudgingly admit, my saving up is kind of a good thing for the collection in the short term as well as the long term. Since I'm saving up my money, that means I won't be bringing in any other new dolls to be dressed for a while. I'll be able to focus on what I already have and hopefully make some decent progress on what I already have. I'm still going to be focusing on getting those other dolls, but in the long, painful, drawn out process that it'll be to get them, I'll be able to appreciate what I've already added to the collection. And I really should, I've managed to build up a collection that is very impressive to me. And perhaps that may be for the best, appreciating what I already have compared to striving for the next purchase.
So today I worked more with the dolls waiting to be dressed. I made three different attempts to dress two of them. One for Skooter, and two for Skipper (if you count making the same outfit twice just in different colors, I do). For all three I made the tops, but quit before making the skirt. I just wasn't thrilled on how they were turning out so there's no need to keep working with something that I'm already displeased about. At least I know when to call it quits in doll sewing!
I guess it's back to the drawing board for these two dolls. I've got to stop collecting these Skipper dolls, they take forever to dress (Especially you Skooter)!

No comments:

Post a Comment