Monday, February 6, 2012

Some thoughts on this chilly Monday

I'll start with the baddest news of today, I decided to nix the suit I made yesterday. I liked it at first, but today I just wasn't feeling it. I was looking at it on Fashion Queen (whom it was intended for), and I just didn't like it. It was looking very stuffy on her, and I just don't want anyone looking like that. So I decided to go another direction with her. Not sure what yet, but something else.
It is a bit of a shame since the suit is one of the better outfits I've made, technical wise, but I'd rather scrap it now than keep it on her and force myself to like it. I'm the one designing the collection so I might as well be happy with it right? Otherwise what's the point? And I'm not throwing out the suit or anything. I finished it, I'm just not going to have her wear it. I did try it on my Hong Kong Lilli, it looked good on her. If I wasn't already committed in keeping in what she's already wearing, she would have gotten it. So I may come back to it eventually, just not right now, and not for the Fashion Queen. It's already been taken off her and she's returned to the Naked Party Pad. Oh well, one of these days she'll get to leave there for good. That does happen, Midge left and hasn't been back. I do owe you a photo of it, so here you go:Anyway, today I didn't get any patterns posted for sale in the morning. My morning was busy, prepping some of the stuff that sold last week to get into the mail today. I had one pattern to get into the mail, as well as that Darci dress. So I went out and got both of those taken care of. They are officially out of my hands and into the USPS. Since I was out I hit up the usual second hand stores. I guess I used up my luck last week when I found Darci because I didn't get a thing this week, like not one thing. I'm not upset or anything. These weeks happen. I'm still a bit shocked about finding Darci last week, that store rarely has anything, but I did get the Party Pad there, so it's been good to me this year. Hopefully next week will be better, although I really don't need more junk. I'm swimming in enough of it already. I was just happy getting those two things into the mail, that was my main goal for going out.
At home I didn't rush to post any patterns for sale on Etsy. I did force myself to post four today eventually. Although, I may have to rethink my pattern selling goal. I was looking over what I had left, and there's still a lot of them, but there's not as many "good" ones. I don't think that I'll be able to reach my goal by patterns alone. Especially when I have basically a one in four selling track record. For every four patterns I post, on average one sells. And while they usually sell on the day that I post them, that's the only time they sell. I have a window of 8 hours when they're on the top of the first page, if they haven't sold by then they might as well vanish from Etsy. I could pay to promote them, but I'm not really raking in the big bucks for these, so it's not really worth it. I guess I'm just going to make peace with the fact that this will be a long term project. I'm not going to make fifty dollars each week. I'm going to have to work on it for several month to make my goal. Last week was a nice start, but that's just it, it's a start. I'm going to keep my eye on the prize. But for now I'm going to take a small break from Etsy. I'm going to test my theory. I've got 39 things posted in my store, I'm going to wait to see if anything sells before I start adding more. I kind of doubt anything will, but I would love to be proven wrong about this.
Really I would.

3 comments:

  1. I think that suit looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the suit looks terrific! I'm so in awe of people who can really sew! (I'm attempting to learn, but I'm not a natural, lol!) So, I looked all around your blog. Am I missing the link to your etsy store? Please share! :)

    ReplyDelete