Monday, March 19, 2012

You can just cut the tension with a knife

I spent most of today working on Skooter's outfit. I still like what I'm doing so I'm eagerly moving forward hoping that this will finally be the outfit she ends up with. I started off with the jumper. I did a few minor tweaks to it, and other than the back seam it's done! I also realized something about it. If she does end up with this outfit she'll be the first Skipper sized doll with a full skirt. Everyone up to now has either pants, or a pleated or aline skirt. It's usual because I can't get enough of Barbie in a full skirt, but her younger sister, no full skirts what so ever. Weird right?
I also made her a pair of shorts. Since she's going to be wearing a full skirt I wanted her to have something under it to preserve her modestly. Certain dolls get underwear, it's really a random thought process around here. Some dolls do, some dolls don't. I made hers with the dotted fabric I made her shirt out of. But when I was nearing finished with them, I noticed the thread tension was really off on them. It looked terrible. I think I'm going to have to redo them. But it's not that easy *Spoiler Alert* I have no clue how to fix the thread tension. Sure, I fiddle with the knob and try to make it better, but thread tension is easily the biggest thing I struggle with on using the sewing machine. It's one of those times I really wish I had some who knew how to sew in order to ask questions. I tried doing some online research in an effort to fix it, but only managed to make things worse with whatever I did. I did eventually manage to undo what I did, but I'm still having those tension issues. At least this finally motivated me to open the machine and clear out all the lint. It was really bad, especially in the presser feet. I'm hoping that my dusting will help fix some of my other sewing issues, because it certainly didn't help any with my tension issue. I won't lie, I'm a little intimidated by this issue, I just don't know what to do. I ended up avoiding the sewing machine for the rest of the day because of it.
But I do have more to report, I got something in the mail today! Hair Fair's new body arrived today. I was hoping it would get here today, but I wasn't counted on it, I hadn't ordered it that long ago, but when I went out to check the box it was here! I opened it, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. First off, I was correct, the head was Growing Up Skipper's. I boiled some water and popped off Skipper's head and put Hair Fair's on. The body was basically in the shape I was expecting. The toes were damaged (the left side looks totally cut off), but other than that it was in good shape. All the fingers were there, and both knees clicked and held position. She was however very, very dirty, so I got my toothbrush and ivory soap and got to work. Her legs were the dirtiest, seems like those rubber legs just attract dirt. When I was cleaning I noticed she had two green spots on her left leg, one on her upper thigh, and one mid-thigh. They looked almost exactly like the spot that was on that Francie's face I bought a while back. With the dark green center and the lighter green ring round that. I took pictures of them and asked people online if they thought they were mold. I got several comments back, all different. Once person suggested they could be oxidization from metal in the legs seeping through, one person suggested it was tiny flecks of metal that had gotten into the skin during the molding process, and another suggested it was the remains of a already treated stain. Only one person seemed to think that it was mold. I thanked everyone kindly for their suggestions, but I was really thinking it was mold. I looked it up online, and actually for most of these issues, the only way to deal with it is to use acne cream to bleach it out. So that's what I'm doing. Luckily both spots are high enough on her leg that her dress covers them, and once the acne cream has dried on her leg, she can wear her dress without fear of it getting damaged. I'm just going to have to remember to check her every once in a while and redo the cream on her leg, and to see if it's working.
I checked the original ad, and the seller didn't mention the green spots. I could have made a fuss about it, but I only paid five dollars for the body, and other than those two issues, it's in really decent shape. So I decided to suck it up and deal with the spots, hopefully they will eventually clear up. And I do like having her on a TNT body. It does take a little getting used to, (I'm used to her having the curved Mexico arms) but I think it's definitely an upgrade. It just feels more like the kind of body she should be on. And I do like being able to use the original body she came on to upgrade Sweet Sixteen. Really, eleven dollars well spent!
(And don't tell anyone I said this, but I've been thinking about redressing her, not sure what yet, but it may happen. I find myself liking her dress less and less.)

No comments:

Post a Comment