Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's a start!

I went out again today, back to Hobby Lobby. But I wasn't shopping for myself. The other day my father asked me to repair some pants he had. The top part of the pockets had gotten all threadbare and worn, and he wanted to change one pair into a pair of shorts. While I hate doing repair work, I will if asked (for some people).
I did some thinking about the best way to mend the pants. In the end I decided the easiest was would be to use some bias tape. That way I could just loop it over the damaged parts of the pants, and sew it down. It's quick, it's easy, and it keeps me from having to sew multiple layers of denim. And since it's cotton, it should at least give some sort of stability to the worn parts of the pants. But there was a problem to this plan, it's just I don't have any bias tape that would work for the project. So off to Hobby Lobby I went to get some. I picked up a package in medium blue. I got three yards of the stuff, so I'm going to have plenty of leftovers. That way when I need to repair other pants, or replace what I've already done, I can. I was even able to use that same forty percent coupon to lower the price on it. Now I just have to get the pants so I can get to work, but I'm not rushing on that... I really don't want to do it. I hate working in denim, but I will... eventually.
I also picked up a few more things at Hobby Lobby. I wanted to get some more ribbon when I was there last, but I forgot with all the other purchases I was making. It's on sale this week, so I wanted to get it while the getting's good! I did go a little crazy with it. I ended up getting four spools of ribbon. I don't normally get that much, but I figure get it now, and you'll have it when you need it. And this way I'll have it and it'll save me one trip to Hobby Lobby in the future. Plus, it was only a dollar each, so I wasn't being so bad. In the fabric section I got a spool of 1/4 inch ribbon in black, and in the bridal section I got 1/8 inch ribbon in light blue, medium blue, and red. You get so much more ribbon for your money in the bridal section, it's not even funny. The black ribbon is only 54 feet (18 yards), but the other ribbon is 75 feet. But a heads up, only get the 1/8 stuff from the bridal section, the bigger stuff is the plastic kind. Only the 1/8 stuff is fabric, learn from my mistakes.
Back at home I put away my ribbon haul. My ribbon box is rapidly filling up. I'm going to have to buy a bigger box, or stop buying ribbon (and we all know that's not going to happen). I also started to work on Charlotte's dress. Actually I didn't start with the fabric I bought yesterday just yet. Before I get to that step I wanted to work on something else, something just as necessary for the dress, but not as visible, the underskirt. Since the skirt shape I'm going to make is a very era specific shape, I was going to need to make a new underskirt for this outfit. I didn't have anything already made that would work.
But I wasn't starting from scratch. I've made several underskirt before, and I was using other clothes to guide me to make what I wanted. I started off with the basic skirt that I normally use. You have seen this time and again, whenever I make an off the hip underskirt this is the pattern I turn to. I love how simple it is, and since it doesn't fall at the waist, it helps eliminate bulk. And I am worried about this outfit looking a little thick at the waist.
From there I hemmed the top, like normal. But I did things a little different for the bottom hem. Instead of just hemming it, I added a length of gathered tulle to it. (I should note, the ruffler does not work on tulle, it just shreds it.) Oh, I forgot to mention that I added some lace to the bottom of the tulle before I sewed it on. I like how it gives it more of a finished hem, plus I didn't want to spend all that time hemming tulle, because there's a lot of it in this skirt. The bottom part uses 31 inches of the stuff! That's a lot of tulle, and a lot of lace. After I gathered and sewed that down, I also top-stitched it. And that row was done.
After that I moved up about halfway up the white skirt part. I sewed more lace to 31 more inches of tulle. I started pinning this one just like the last one, except this one I did not gather in the front. I left that part flat, and gathered the tulle at the sides of the hips. I wanted a skirt that's bigger on the sides than on the front and back, so the hips are more "padded".
And finally I added another bit of lace, at the top. This one is the shortest of the three. I actually just folded the tulle over and sewed the lace to both halves. I did trim a bit of the other two skirts before I sewed them on, but just about an inch. This one is also not as long as the other two, it's only 21 inches, so I took ten inches off. This one is gathered similar to the middle panel, with more gathers at the sides than the front.
I think I made pretty decent progress with it today. I got the entire thing finished. I did have to hand sew several spots where I had gone off with the machine. Sewing tulle is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment