Thursday, June 7, 2012

Nervous... SO Nervous...

I had a terrible night's sleep last night, but it was no shock to me, I was expecting it. I woke up every hour, several times on the hour. I was supposed to get up at six, but when five rolled around and I was up again, I decided to just cut my losses and get up then. It's not like that hour of restless sleep would have mattered much. I got what I needed to get done in the morning done, but even with that extra hour it still it rushed by. But isn't that always the case when you're dreading something?
What I was dreading? Going to the dentist. Since I'm uninsured soon I decided to go for a routine clean up/verbal abuse. I will admit that my dental care when growing up was less than stellar, but I've been a ton better now that I'm an adult. But I knew that meant absolutely nothing to them, I was still going to get a lecture. Which is why I hate the dentist. I won't lie, walking in to the building my legs felt weak and I wanted nothing more than to go back to the car and go home, but instead I went into the building for my appointment.
I did end up getting a lecture, a stern talking to from a dentist, after he read off the laundry list of what needed to be done to my teeth. I didn't bother interrupting him to say that I have been much better and that was older damage he was looking at, instead I let him talk down to me, knowing the quicker this was over the better. They did want to set up shop in my mouth and do tons of stuff, but I did explain to them several times that in less than 48 hours I was uninsured and not in any place to afford something like that. They even wanted to take out my wisdom teeth, even though I've had them for about eight years without a problem. But even if I wanted to, I could not have had anything done, even with insurance, the co-pay was more than I could pull at this time. Honestly, I declined their twenty dollar mouth cancer screening, even if I had cancer I can't afford to know about it. I can't afford to be anything but healthy. I took my verbal abuse in stride, collected my self worth from the floor, and left when they were done. So I'm glad that's all over, it's been a real weight on my shoulders for a bit now.
But I wasn't done with having to do stuff that I dreaded to benefit myself today. In the early afternoon my father and I headed to Greensboro it meet a man about some dolls. I mentioned it briefly in yesterday's post, so it's time to go into greater detail. From time to time I check the local Craigslist to see if there's any vintage Barbie listed. Usually it's pretty much nothing, or a billion dollars for a beat up Malibu Barbie. One of the more recent time I checked I found someone selling four vintage dolls, as well as a new MIB doll. I checked them out, saw what they were, and since they didn't have a listed price for the vintage dolls moved on. Yesterday when I checked I saw that they hadn't sold and the seller had put the ad up again. So I sent them an e-mail asking a few questions. They got back to me, answering my questions, and asking me if I'd like to make an offer for the four dolls. I looked the dolls over again, calculated what I could spend, and weighted if the seller would take my offer. Some people would think it was a low ball offer, but it was seriously what I could afford at the time. It was actually all my allotted birthday money from my parents, as well as some of what my Grandparent's will be sending me. So I made the offer of seventy five for all four dolls, and the seller accepted!
But we had to meet to make the transaction. It sort of worked out that we could meet today and trade, my money for his dolls. He lived north of us in Rockingham County. We met midway at a local restaurant in Greensboro. It was a little nerve wracking waiting for him. I'm not very good at social situations, and I was worried how it would all play out. But it went off smoothly. We were there first (my father and I), and waited a little bit for the guy to arrive. Once he did, we did a quick trade of the money for the dolls. I probably should have checked them better in person before taking them, but they were just like he said they were. If I ever do another transaction like that I'll have to check them before paying for them, this time I just wanted to make it happen without any issues.
At home I started working with them. They were all filthy. I'm not kidding when I say that I don't think they've ever been washed before, or if they have it was in 1967 (when the latest doll is from). I know from the seller that they're aren't his dolls. He's selling off his late sister's collection. He mentioned about possibly having a vintage Ken, but he hadn't seen it for a while. I told him that I would be interested in the vintage Ken if he found it, or any other vintage Barbie stuff. I also offered my services if he found a doll that he couldn't identify, he could send me an e-mail and I'd try to figure it out for him. I figured it wasn't that much of a hardship to offer, and it might be kind of fun playing doll detective. I'm not sure what his sister collected, or if she really collected or amassed dolls. I don't know about you, but I try to keep my collections somewhat cleaned. But they have cleaned up pretty nicely, forty plus years of dirt didn't do them that much damage. I'm going to keep you all in the dark about what they are, because I can. Plus I'm exhausted and I'm tired of typing. I'm glad all this stress of over!

No comments:

Post a Comment