Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Quick Stop, then back to work!

I went out this morning, it was different this time because I didn't go with my father, instead I went with my mother. The reason for the change? We were out getting a father's day present. We were very sneaky about going out, we planned it when he was at work, and went out when he was sleeping. We weren't out very long. There's not much you can get for the man who buys himself everything he wants, but come tomorrow he'll have three more bags of Jelly Beans. Honestly, he'd buy those for himself anyway, this was he doesn't have to and he's got something to open. I didn't buy him a card however, all the ones at Big Lots were like five dollars, I love my father, but I don't think a piece of paper with a sentimental statement on it is worth five dollars. I'd rather just tell him in person than spend that kind of money on something that will just end up getting trashed.
I also stopped into Hobby Lobby while I was out (it's just next door). The other day I was over on "In the Pink" someone posted a dress they had made, and sewn onto the dress was a small cameo. I think I've mentioned this before, but I love cameos, they're my favorite kind of jewelry, but they are so hard to find in Barbie size. I asked them where they got it, and they replied that it was from Hobby Lobby, in the button section, and came in a package with some other Victorian inspired buttons. I checked for it online, but couldn't find it, so I hoped I'd be able to find it in the store.
Today I got a chance to look for it. I didn't find anything like that in the sewing section, so I checked the scrapbook section (both section has buttons). I did find something like it, but the one I found the cameo was much bigger than the one I saw online. It did have a package with other Victorian buttons, but it was much larger. I took a picture of it with my cell phone to compare it with the original, and didn't get it. Like I said it was too big, and seeing it in person, it looked kind of cheap.
At home I realized that there was a website for the buttons, so I looked it up. Turns out there is a smaller version of the buttons I found. You can't order from the website, but I don't want to anymore. You only get one cameo in a package, and spending two dollars on one button is way too much money, especially when it's just cheap looking plastic. At least I have closure on it. I did find something interesting in the scrapbook button section, a small locket. It looked like it would be perfect for a pocket watch for Joe's forever postponed steampunk outfit (maybe a bit large). I would have been happier had I not already purchased something specifically for that already. I didn't get it because it was expensive, came in a pack with eight other things that I doubted I could use, and I'm not willing to spend more money on supplies for that outfit which at this point may never happen. At least I can have some self control, sometimes.
Back at home I got back to working on Joe's shirt project. Yesterday I made prototype 1, 2, and 3, today I made 4, 5, and 6. I even made a second sleeve pattern. I was having trouble with my first one yesterday so today I started fresh resizing a Barbie one, it now works better. I even started working on the collar. I won't lie, it's going to be really tricky. I don't think I'll be able to make it so that his neck issues are totally covered. I've been trying to think of solutions, but haven't found the perfect one yet. I guess tomorrow I'll work on version 7, 8, 9. Hopefully by then I'll be able to make something from all my efforts, I'm really getting tired of making these blasted shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment