Friday, June 22, 2012

So hot I think I'm melting...

It was much too hot to work today. I woke up and it was like a billion degrees in my room, and it was only going to get hotter as the day wore on. So I didn't bother forcing myself to do anything. Besides, I don't have any project I actually want to work on. My two main ones, Joe's Steampunk outfit and Charlotte's dress, have both wore out my patience with them, so they're going to have to wait for another day. Sadly I haven't even changed Joe out of his shirt into something more presentable, luckily it's too hot to be wearing pants anyway.
I did take care of some business today. I got an e-mail from the woman I sent the orange tapes to, they arrived today. She said her son was really happy to get them. He's been checking the mailbox since they arrived hoping for more tapes to magically appear. Too cute right? I guess I was the first person who's package arrived. I know several other people found some too, but I guess they haven't shown up yet. So he's going to be in for more surprises! I'm glad I was able to help, and I do plan on keeping my eyes peeled for more orange tapes whenever I think of it when I'm out. But I'm afraid that they're going to be not that easy to find, but it doesn't hurt to check when I'm already in the stores.
It was in the middle of the afternoon when I decided that I wanted to do some sewing, but I had a hard time figuring out what. I decided I wanted to make something that was quick, easy, and something I had done before. I'm tired of working for days on pattern adaptations that may or may not lead anywhere. I wanted some instant gratification. I ended up letting my fabric decide what I was going to make. In my stash I have this cream colored cotton with leaves and tiny yellow flowers. I've had it forever. I got it at Walmart back when I started sewing several years ago. For a while I had two people wearing something made from it in the collection, but as time went on they upgraded to more recent, and better made outfits. One of those people was Mary Clair and she was wearing her jumper made from this fabric for years. Only after I made her Christmas dress last year did she actually get a different dress. But I really liked the fabric, so I wanted to make something for someone in it. But I didn't have an idea for anyone on the sewing cabinet, so I decided to make it for Charlotte. She always has room in her wardrobe for something new, and since she changes clothes so often, if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be on her for long.
For the pattern I selected a very familiar one, the original sleeveless bodice that I've used to make all those other bodice patterns. I wanted the original because I wanted nothing to do with sleeves or collars today. This was just a fun and quick exercise in sewing and instant gratification. For the bodice straps I went with the vintage ones that I use for sheaths. I like that one the best, so I wanted to use it. While I want this dress to be simple I don't want it to be that simple. I still want to like it when I'm done with it all. I got to work on the bodice, which went together pretty simply. I did try something different with it. When adding the straps I wanted to sew them down the same time as I did the top seam. I had to sew in and rip out some holding stitches in order to do so, but I was able to do it. If you look close enough (and know what you're looking for) it's not perfect, but it's certainly a passable job. I took great detail making sure the bodice fit in the bust area. I did not want too much showing on Charlotte. I did mess up part of it and have to take out the top seam, but luckily that was before I sewed down the straps. Once those were in I wasn't going to redo them, either they worked on the first try or else I was giving up on the whole thing. Luckily they went in fine the first time.
For the skirt I went with a full one, but rounded. I actually picked the skirt that was originally paired with the bodice. In fact other than the strap switch I almost made this dress exactly how it's designers intended, which around here rarely happens. I did change the skirt a little, I ended up adding about two inches onto the length of it. You know me, I like my bodices fitted and my skirts full. I hemmed the skirt using the largest stitches on the machine, I planned on ripping those out and hand hemming it. Then I attached it to the skirt to the bodice. It actually went in easy and on the first time. From there I went on to finish it. For some reason the bodice doesn't match up perfectly in the back, but the skirt meets up at the bottom. I didn't put to much thought into fixing it. Since the skirt met up at the bottom I was fine with that. I got the entire thing finished, including using a hidden stitch on the skirt hem.
At first when I finished it felt that it needed some sort of decoration on it, but since I can't think of the perfect thing I didn't end up doing anything to it. I'm thinking that it doesn't need anything, but what do you think, dear readers? Let me know in the comments if you think it needs something else. But you'll need to see the dress first, and so finally here's Charlotte in her new sundress, a spur of the moment creation: It's always a good day when Charlotte gets a new dress (even if it's so blasted hot!).

2 comments:

  1. very pretty! I think it looks nice how it is. maybe a tiny bow at the base of one of the straps or a pale green waist ribbon (sorry, I'm kind of obsessed with waist ribbons).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the dress is perfect on her. I like the style very nice

    ReplyDelete