Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Talking Business... finally.

I had a terrible night's sleep last night. For some reason I could not fall asleep right away, and when I finally did I woke up a lot more than usual during the night. I hope this isn't the start of another one of my crappy sleep cycles. I really do not want that.
But even though all I wanted to do was stay in bed and rest, this morning I forced myself to get up. You see I needed to go out. Just to the post office, nothing too major. I had a box to get out into the mail, and if I didn't get to it today I was going to have to wait until Monday at the earliest. And I wanted to get it done and all squared away. And I did! It is on it's way to Spain as we speak. I've already e-mailed the person to let them know that it's in the system. This was a pretty big sale for me. I didn't mention it because for a while it didn't seem like it was going to happen.
I'll explain. A few weeks ago I got an e-mail from someone over on the Dollpage. She was asking about four items; a Barbie reproduction doll, Brooke Shields, that Ariel doll, and a dress I had listed. The total for the four items was 42 dollars, before shipping. Her English was not the easiest to understand, but I figured out that she was asking me if I would be willing to give her a better price if she bought them all. I thought about it, and since I like getting deals when I buy more I crunched the numbers and offered to take seven dollars off, making it 35 dollars. I also calculated shipping (14 dollars), bringing the total to 49 dollars, which I told her, giving her the same numbers and breakdown that I gave you. But she was not happy with that. She wanted me to go down even lower to 45 dollars, taking off 11 dollars instead of my 7. Which basically meant she wanted one of my dolls for free. She was asking me to take 25% percent off, which I was unwilling to do. I told her that I had too much money invested in these dolls and simply could not sell them for that low. After I sent her that e-mail I didn't hear from her again, so I figured she passed on my offer and put the dolls back.
A couple of days ago she e-mailed me again, saying she still wanted my dolls, and pointing out that I hadn't sold them yet. I e-mailed her back restating that if she wanted them they were still 49 dollars, I was still willing to give her my original price break. When she contacted me again, referring to me as a "cold business woman" (wrong on both counts). I simply stated to her that I could not go that low for these dolls, "I do not mean to be cold, but...". She e-mailed me back stating that she had only been joking, (which I do believe) and that down the line that if I decided to go lower on the doll prices to think of her. I didn't bother e-mailing her back since I figured this was getting me nowhere and I was done dealing with her. I hadn't bothered putting the dolls away since I hadn't even bothered taking them out for this round of e-mails.
But the other day I posted two new dolls for sale, that California Midge, and Sun Lovin' Barbie. And wouldn't you know, she contacted me again. Apparently she now thought my price of 49 dollars was a fair one, and she wanted to purchase the Midge doll as well. I don't understand it either. I asked her if she wanted the entire Midge doll, or just the head (I had made the offer in the ad since Midge had the spotted and sticky legs and might only be worth of a rebody), because adding another doll would make the shipping go up. She wanted the whole doll, so I ended up adding another dollar to the shipping. So she bought it all. I guess that Midge was a doll she really wanted. Whatever. She paid yesterday so I got the dolls shipped out today.
And while I have all that money burning a hole in my Paypal pocket I'm not spending any of it. I'm not saying anything about the buyer but I'm waiting until I have conformation that the dolls are in her hands and that's she's happy with them before I do anything with that money. I'd rather hold off on buying anything than be caught underfunded in case something came up. But once that's all squared away and done with, I do have some exciting plans for the money. You'll just have to wait and see what that will be. I do enjoy leaving you all hanging like that!

1 comment:

  1. People can make you crazy when buying things from you. There is no explanation for the insanity at certain times but glad you got a sale finally

    ReplyDelete