Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Trying to salvage something good.

Well dear readers, I'll start off with the bad news, I've done a total 180 on Skooter's outfit. I now hate it with a burning passion and I want to do nothing but take it off her and banish her back to the sewing cabinet (or worse). The only thing that is keeping me from doing so is the fact that I'm hoping that I'll reverse my position and like it again. So far it seems to be working, kind of. I keep flip flopping between love and hate for this outfit. I'll glance over at Skooter on the bookshelf and fall in love with how adorable it is, then look a few minutes later and feel like it's terrible and nothing like how I want Skooter to be dressed. I'm not sure why this bizarre turnaround happens, but sometimes it just does. This is not the first time this has happened, and I doubt it will be the last, much to my annoyance.
But while I sometimes hated the outfit I wasn't ready to give up on it just yet. It was so hard to dress Skooter that I really hated taking it off her. So I looked at the outfit more critically, trying to pinpoint exactly what I didn't like on it. It took me a little while, but I eventually decided it was the shirt that was making me dislike it so. While it was a cute shirt, and took forever to make, it just didn't go with the outfit. The jumper was more like fancy school clothes, and the style of the shirt was a bit more casual than the rest of it. So I decided to remake the shirt, choosing a similar style, but one that felt a bit more dressy. Quite honestly, all I was going to be doing was remaking it, but with short sleeves instead of the original shirt's cap sleeves. A somewhat simple fix, but one I was hoping be really effective in making me like the outfit again.
For the pattern I picked that one piece Skipper shirt pattern that I drafted for for Living Skipper. I made a couple changes from how I made it for Living Skipper though. I made the sleeves shorter. I also on the fly changed it from a back closure to a front closure, which was not easy. I mean I got it to work, but for a while I wasn't sure if it was going to be successful. I wouldn't have been too shocked if I made the entire thing then found out I messed up the placement on the neck hole opening and Skooter couldn't wear it.
But I didn't. I made quick progress on it. This one is fully lined like the other one (still using that super thin red dotted Swiss). I even did the inset collar again, I did however work out a new way to make it get set in easier. I'll have to try it again to see if it actually works, or if this time it was just a fluke. I finished it today, adding the buttons just like last time. I did change something decorative on it. The original design had a bow at the neck, but when I made that first shirt I ended up getting rid of it. On this version I bought it back. I'm not super in love with it's placement on the shirt, but I didn't feel like ripping it out again and retacking it down in place.
And then I was done. I'm still not totally in love with this outfit, but I do like it better than before. I'm leaving Skooter in it, and moving her over to the bookshelf. I figure she's dressed and if I think of something I like better I can always change her clothes. I'm just glad she's done, and she was our second dressed doll of the month! I was thinking I wasn't going to hit that number this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment