Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Whatta Haul! Part Five (Finale)

All right, it's the final day of sharing what I purchased at the Swell Doll Shop. I'm really excited to get to this point, not because I'm thrilled about what I'm going to share with you, but I'm excited over the fact that it's the finale! I honestly was wondering if I'd ever get to this point.

Up first for today we have the hooded shirt to vintage Barbie outfit Winter Holiday. I actually bought this for someone. When I picked it out of the bin I immediately thought that it would work for my Bend Leg Midge, so I bought it. Unfortunately at home when I tried it on her, it didn't look so good. With Midge's big hair she couldn't wear the hood up, and it looked better with it up than down. Also, the shirt itself is rather... boxy. Since it's wide enough to fit in the bust and doesn't have any darts, it just sort of hangs on the body. And you know me and having a fitted bodice, so Midge is definitely not getting it, I'm not sure if anyone will. It is in decent shape though. It's missing the draw string, which I read is a common problem. There's also some popped stitching at the waist, and I think the hood itself is coming off, I might have to tack it down. But those are all very minor things, it's really in good shape. I just wish it looked good on someone so I could actually use it.

Moving on from there we have an item that I instantly knew that I wanted. It's the under dress to Friday Night Date. I didn't have an immediate idea as to who was going to wear it when I found it, but I knew I wanted it. It does have a couple flaws. There's some orange staining on the skirt (which I don't mind since it's going to be covered by the overdress), but there's a stain dead center on the bodice. I have no idea what it is, but I've tried several things in an effort to get it to come clean, but failed. It looks like a grease stain, which are impossible to get out, especially when they're over fifty years old. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to clean it? I'm desperate for suggestions. Right now I'm thinking I might have to change how I design my overdress in order to cover it. Still a cute dress. I'm thinking that my Blonde Number Five Ponytail will end up with it, but that's not set in stone yet. Someone else could very much end up with it.

Up next we have my most regrettable purchase from the doll bin. It's the Star bodysuit from a 70s' best buy outfit. I've always liked this outfit, so I was really excited to find part of it, especially since it was the harder to make part. But I guess my enthusiasm blinded me to it's issues. There's a spot on the back that's totally threadbare. I'm going to have to patch it. I didn't realize it until after I got home with it. I wouldn't have bought it had I seen that in the store. There's also a lot of loose threads that need trimming, but I knew that when I bought it. But since that's the worst surprise I got out of what I bought, I should be pleased that that was the worst of it.

And before we get to our final item, we have a little bonus outfit. It's this little geometric print nightgown. Now I didn't buy this, but Tutti came wearing it. It's in good shape, it does have a couple spots and some discolorations. The weird thing, I already had this. This exact same nightgown came in those cases a while back. I have no clue who made it, I never was able to identify the first one. It's so weird that I ended up with two, both totally by accident. I don't have any plans to use this.

And finally (ugh, finally) we have a Ken Jacket. I think it's a pak item, Corduroy Jacket (But I could be wrong). It's perfect, like it looks like it just came out of the package. I would doubt if it was ever on a doll. It even has the paper quality control tag on it. I don't have a Ken doll to dress at the moment, but I knew that I had the have it the moment that I saw it, or else regret missing out on it. I'm going to have this up in the Vintage clothing closet, but the next time I get a vintage Ken I will pull this out as an option for dressing him in. Can you believe this was only two dollars?

Whew, that was a lot of writing. I'm glad that's over with. Now that I've shared everything I've gotten, I can get back to my usual topics of conversation. Like the fact that since today was Tuesday I got some writing done, sadly I wasn't that motivated and only managed to get half a page done before I called it quits. Sometimes these things just happen. Hopefully the next time I write I'll get more done. Finger's crossed!

1 comment:

  1. when I do our laundry, I squirt a little bit of hand dishwashing soap on grease stains. it has even helped get out some older ones that have been through the wash a few times. not sure if this would be good for vintage fabric. good luck!

    ReplyDelete