Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Another dull day...

Not the most exciting day today by any means. I ended up sleeping in super late this morning. I've been having a really hard time falling asleep at night for the past couple of days. On one hand I'm glad that I'm able to catch up on my sleep in the morning, but on the other hand I'm setting myself up for another night of rough sleep by sleeping in so late. It's one of those darned if you do, darned if you don't sort of deals.
In the early afternoon I went out. I had to go out. My brother starts school tomorrow and needed some Velcro to replace his broken watch straps. He had asked me to get him some a while ago, but it hasn't been on sale since he asked. Luckily, it was on sale this week, and not a moment too soon. So Hobby Lobby was one of the first places I headed when out. Before I headed out to the sewing section I checked out the scrapbook section. I was looking for a supply for a craft project I'm sort of thinking about trying. I'm still in the budgeting phase to see if the end product justifies the cost. I found what I was looking for, but I also found a couple of new things. Did you know they sell small watch parts? It's totally pandering to Steampunks, but it's actually kind of cool. I don't think I'll end up buying anything like that, but it was cool to see. But you never know, eventually I'll get back to Joe's steampunk outfit and maybe something like that could be added into the design. I also saw some cool (I assume totally fake) wind up keys. Again steampunk pandering, but I had an idea of making Charlotte a wind up doll costume. It hadn't gotten very far from the initial idea phase, but now I know where to find keys like that I can start thinking about it more. I'm not going to buy anything like that before I have things more planned out (if they ever get to that point), but it was still cool to see.
From there I moved over to the sewing section. I picked up that Velcro I needed, and a spool of yellow thread. I've been almost out of yellow thread for a while now, but since I bought all that yellow patterned fabric at the Quilting Coop, I knew that I was going to need more. So I was able to get a new spool and use the forty percent off coupon on it. I also looked around at the fabric section to see if there was anything new that I could use. There wasn't. I looked at their white and black calico to see if they had replaced the terrible bolts from the last time I was there. They hadn't. I almost bought some yellow and navy calico, but ended up not. I really don't have a specific project for them and was buying them to eventually use it, but I decided to save my money. When I actually need them I can buy them, there's no need stocking up more fabrics for when I may use them. Maybe it will motivate me to actually use some of the stuff I've stockpiled. I only spent three dollars at Hobby Lobby this week, not too shabby!
I'll spare you the details about the second hand stores, they had nothing, nada, zip! I visited all three, and left without getting anything at any of them. I guess when you keep visiting them they don't have that much time to restock!
At home I made my brother do some work on replacing his watch bands. I'm willing to help, but I am not going to let him dump that project on my lap especially since it's not like it's a project that only I can do. I did do the sewing for him, but that was super easy, especially since the black thread was already threaded in the machine. It would have taken me longer to change the thread than it did to sew the straps down. But it's over and done with, and I'm glad for that. Now I can go back to being selfish and sew only for me (and the dolls!) But if only I could think of something to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment