Saturday, August 4, 2012

Back to Town!

I got an early start this morning, but not by choice. I was hoping to sleep in this morning, but it just wasn't meant to be. Today was the first day this week that I did not have my alarm set to wake me up... instead someone texted me roughly the same time that the alarm normally wakes me up. Sometimes I just cannot win. But in the end, it ended up working out for the best. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
This morning I worked on cleaning up around here. While it's not as bad as it's been in the past, I'm trying to keep it from getting that bad. During my last clean up I managed to put away most of what needed to go away. That left me with a pile of stuff that I was either still working on or hadn't figured out where it was going to live yet. So for the past week or so I've just been moving that pile on and off my desk. When I needed to use my desk it moved onto the bed, and at the end of the day it returned back to the desk. Also it began to grow. Stuff that I should have put away, and more stuff I was working on ended up in it. Pretty soon I needed multiple trips to move it from my desk to the bed, and I knew I needed to nip it in the bud. So today I managed to pare it down to a much smaller pile. All that's left in it, are two dolls, a pile of paper patterns, and some muslin test clothing for those patterns. Hopefully I'll eventually break that pile further down and put it all away completely, but somehow I doubt that will happen. Keeping my room clean seems to be a near impossible task.
I didn't spend my entire day cleaning, you'd think that I'd want to start working on that dress I started, but instead I went out. The last two times I've left the house have been to visit the Swell Doll shop, and I haven't been into town for a couple of weeks now, so I figured that I was due to go out. I probably should have skipped it since it was both Saturday and the tax free weekend. There were so many people in all the stores! Not that I mind people shopping and stimulating the economy, I do however mind people who aren't mindful of when they or their carts are blocking the walkway. A couple times I got trapped by people just blocking the isles for no real reason. It's so annoying!
Anyway, I managed to hit up all three second hand stores, as well as the Antique Mall on Sunset. I checked out the doll booth at the antique store, they are the same dolls. I didn't see anything different from what's been there for the past few years. Same dolls, same clothes, same prices, same 20 percent off. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if your items weren't selling before, do you really think that business with pick up if you move four feet to the left? Just like with the dolls in the case I didn't see anything new at the Antique mall. The second hand stores weren't much better. I didn't see anything worthwhile at either the Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
It wasn't until the United Christian Outreach Center that I found anything of interest, and even that wasn't something that was super exciting or anything. The first thing I bought was a pattern, Simplicity 8458. It's a pattern for making a cat bride and groom stuffed animal set and their mouse bridesmaids. This normally isn't my usual type of purchase, but I'm going to need formal clothing for stuffed animals roughly their size. I can't say too much about that project at the moment, but there will be more details later. I figured for the quarter this cost me it will save me much more in sanity. This way I won't have to draft my own patterns from scratch. I may had to do some adapting on it, but at least I can use this for a starting point. I don't always need to reinvent the wheel.
But that's not all I found there. I also got a magazine booklet thing. It's called "Juvenile Styles" and was edited by Mary Hoyer. Mine's from 1943 and is volume seven. It's full of knitting and crochet patterns for children, babies, and young teens. I just got it because it's cool. There is a pattern for a doll in it too (Not Barbie sized since this predates her by a good 16 years). Also on the back cover is an ad for the Mary Hoyer doll, "The Biggest Doll Value on the Market Today!". I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it since I don't knit or Crochet. I wouldn't mind framing it just for the back ad, but part of me wants to see if I could sell it. I do hate how the UCOC writes the prices on patterns and stuff like it. I've seen lots of things there I could resell, except someone used permanent marker on it. This booklet survived 69 years in decent shape until someone decided to write 25 cents on it. *Sigh* At least the doll ad is unmarked.
Also when out I stopped into Hobby Lobby. Like I said the other day I needed some supplies and to price some stuff. Unfortunately I didn't see any fabric that would work for the projects I'm working on, and the stuff I wanted to price I couldn't find in the store. Not the most successful trip by any means. I will be heading back there soon though, I need to buy something for my brother but held off this week since it wasn't on sale. At home I did learn that one of the things I was looking for was actually in a different section than where I was looking, so I can check that out the next time I'm there. Hopefully my next trip there will be more successful.
And finally I stopped into Walmart. I wanted to check out their fabric section to see if they had anything that would work for the two projects I'm looking for the right fabrics for. Sadly they did not. I found a couple things I liked, but nothing I was really in love with so I didn't bother getting anything cut there. I don't need more fabric that I might never use cluttering up my room. While I left the craft section empty handed, I didn't leave Walmart empty handed. Over in the toy clearance section there was a clothing pack from that short lived Disney Channel character doll line. They didn't do very well, so they moved into the clearance section. All they had left was one clothing pack for the Hannah Montana doll. It was marked down to five dollars, and since it had been there a while, and I was hoping it would go even lower. But my Walmart doesn't seem that keen on lowering prices even if something's been sitting on a shelf for forever. I actually couldn't find it when I was first looking for it, and thought it had sold. Turns out stuff had just been put in front of it. I did wrestle with getting it, but since the shoes fit Monster High dolls I decided on getting it. That was my final purchase of the day.
At home I was sort of disappointed with the fashion pack. I guess those Disney dolls are bigger than the Monster High dolls, body wise. All of the clothes were swimming on Frankie. I couldn't even get her feet through the pants. And while the body's must be bigger, their feet must be smaller. The purple strapped heels (which is a huge reason why I bought this outfit pack) sort of fit, if you ignore her heel hanging out. The black gladiator sandals fare a little better. Her toes hang over the edge a little, but it fits over the entire foot, even though when you look closely you can see that the Monster High foot doesn't match up that well to the molded arch of the shoe. I did have a bit of good news with it, the purple shoes, actually fit Tuesday Taylor. She's near impossible to find shoes for, and these fit well, and look pretty close to 70's style footwear. So I'd say this was a decent buy. The Tuesday Taylor shoes make it worth it. I'm planning on keeping parts of this pack and selling the rest. I'm keeping the purple dress, the purple shoes, the black shoes, and the clear glitter sock things. (Those sock things do fit Charlotte. Not sure when I'll ever use them since they're something a stripper would wear, but I'm keeping them.) The jacket, pants, shirt, all the jewelry, and the Hannah Montana magazine all have a date with the Dollpage. Even though I usually keep the stuff I get as a "just in case I need this" sort of deal, I have no interest in them. I'd rather get rid of them than keep them. At least I could use something from that fashion pack, right?
Sadly to say I didn't get a chance to work on the dress today. It's not that I'm stalling because I secretly hate it, I just didn't get a chance to work on it today. But hey, tomorrow's another day, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment