Saturday, August 25, 2012

Creating a new problem, but fixing an old one

I spent my morning working on Skipper's dress... it did not go well. I remembered that I had a pattern for a set in sleeve Skipper shirt in my pattern folder already. If I remember correctly it was from an attempt at dressing Skooter a while ago. I pulled it out, and made a go at it. It looked decent, but after I got most of it sewn up (from the good fabric) I tried it on Skipper, and there was no was it was going to fit. I couldn't even get both her arms into it. I don't think anyone can wear it. I assume the first time I made it I didn't have this problem or else I would have written something about it on the pattern, so I have no clue what I did differently this time. Defeated from this annoying setback I gave up. Skipper can wait a little bit longer for her dress, she's been waiting since October so it's not like she's in any rush or anything.

From there I started working on a project of Charlotte's that has been on the back burner for a while. It's that dress I started a while back. I can't remember when I shared it with you, but I know I shared her skirt and her petticoat. It's the costume that so far I've had to make everything twice, which is why it ended up getting ignored for so long. I've been having the darnest time with the bodice. I made the skirt and the bodice separate since I love separates, but that's been causing trouble. With the skirt so full I was having a hard time with giving the bodice enough flair at the bottom to go over the skirt without squishing it down or wrinkling. Before I gave up in a while ago I made five attempt at adapting the pattern for it. Today I decided to go in a total different direction. I was thinking about what to tweak on that first pattern when I realized I already had something that could work better. I've had some pretty decent luck with that Princess seamed pattern I've been using forever, and since it's a dress it already had the flair at the bottom to fit the skirt. So I pulled it out, and ended up making a quick mock up and try with with the skirt, and wouldn't you know, it fits over it, and pretty decently for a first time. I still need to do some tweaking to the pattern to get it how I want it, but I made some pretty decent progress today. I'm glad that using this pattern gets rid of that fit issue that I was having with the first pattern, I was honestly running out of things to try to fix it.
So overall, not a whole lot of progress today, but at least I know what doesn't work!

No comments:

Post a Comment