Monday, August 20, 2012

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................

Today was a rough day, it was one of those days where every little thing that could go wrong did. I'm not sure why, but the decks were clearly stacked against me. I just want today to be over and all of this negative energy to clear out and leave me alone. I'm not going to bother going into detail since I don't want to rehash it. It's nothing really bad, but just enough to wear on me today.

But I did have something good happen today. I got some fabric in the mail. It's from Spoonflower, which is an online fabric store. What's cool about it, is that you can upload your own images, and they will print it on fabric for you. It's SUPER expensive, so normally it's way out of my price range, but they were doing a promotional thing where you get a fat quarter for the price of shipping. So I had to try it.
Also you can sell your designs on the website, after you buy a test swatch, which is pretty cool. You only get like ten percent, but it's better than nothing. I did check out what people had (there's a lot to look at), but couldn't find anything that really called out to me, so I ended up uploading my own image. But since I wasn't expecting to order from them I really didn't have anything planned to upload. But I did come up with something.
I ended up trying to copy a vintage Mattel fabric. It's the fabric originally used for the jacket to Ken's Student Reporter outfit. It was also used for a Skipper shirt, a Barbie pleated skirt, and a Japanese exclusive Francie dress. I don't own anything made from this fabric, but I found an image online and trimmed it for my needs. I did it rather quickly, so it didn't come out the best. The pattern came out a little large, and the colors are a bit muted. Also it's a bit crooked, but that's totally my fault. I should have taken more care with it. I'm not beating myself up too much over it since it was a learning experience. If I had a do over I'd probably do something entirely different. But at least I'm only out a dollar. I doubt I'll buy from them again, not that there's anything wrong with the product, but it's almost twenty dollars a yard, and I simply cannot afford that.
Here's a picture of Charlotte on the fabric for scale:

No comments:

Post a Comment