Saturday, August 18, 2012

They're his "almost pants" right now.

Since yesterday I banished Skipper's top to the unfinished project box, I really didn't have anything to do today. She was the only undressed doll that I had any idea of what to sew for. I've been doing lots of online research lately, but failed to find anything that really called to me for any of the dolls waiting to dress.
I did end up working on something for Joe. The other day I mentioned working on that Pirate coat for him, I did not work on that today however. I realized that if he had a pirate coat, he was going to need an outfit to go with it. He can't go around with just a coat... he's not a flasher! For the shirt I can use the Steampunk shirt I made for him a while back, it's vague enough in it's era to work for several different ones, but he needed pants. So today I worked on that. I took some brown calico and his usual pants pattern and make him a pair. These are a little different because they're shorter than usual. They only reach to mid-calf. Also there's elastic at the bottoms to give them some gathering. While I do like them I'm not totally in love with them. I did manage to reinforce all the seams on them today. I just didn't add any snaps. I'm sure I'll come back to them some other day and finish them, but don't expect it any time soon. Joe's argyle shirt is still waiting in limbo for me to finish it as well.

But I did wanted to keep you informed on how things are with the North Carolina doll club. I've e-mailed with the woman that runs it a couple times now. The September meeting has a theme now. When I first started talking with her it didn't. She even asked me if I could think of anything, which I was not comfortable with. I had no idea what perimeters they used for their themes, it could be as vague as "the color blue" or as specific as "18th century German composers that heavily favored woodwinds in their music". The theme for September is Country Fair, so sort of between the two options I was thinking. They're also going to have contests for dressed dolls, and cooking, like you have at county fairs. I asked her about how these types of contests are run in their group, and she couldn't give me anymore information. Apparently this is the first time they are doing something like it.
And I am thinking about entering, just to be part of the group. I was hoping to sew something to dress my doll in, but this theme has got me stumped. Over the past couple days I have been wracking my brain trying to think of something, but can't really come up with anything I want to make. The only think I can think of are rehashes of vintage Barbie outfits. I'm still thinking about it, but I have a fall back plan if I can't think of anything. I have that vintage style sundress that I made for Charlotte a while back. It was just for fun, I didn't really need to make it. It's cute, but I'm not in love with it or anything (I feel like it's missing something), anyway, I think that would work for a county fair, plus I made it. I'm thinking if I can't think of anything better I'll put that on Ashley and bring her. I'm not bringing Charlotte to the meeting, you'd think she'd naturally be my doll of choice, but I'm not ready to share her with the outside world. Charlotte is a deeply personal item for me and I don't want to bring her. Ashley's been her stand in before, and she can do it again. What she'll be wearing however is still undecided. And I'm going to have to steal someone's shoes, not sure who's yet.
What I'm going to make is an easier decision. I'm going to make tomato soup cake. It's easy, people seem to like it, and I know how to make it well. I am wrestling with if I should make frosting or not. Usually I skip it since it's sweet enough as is, but some people might like frosting with theirs. I am planning on making cupcakes like usual since they're easier to handle, so maybe I could frost some and not others? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Also, I'm not totally sure if this counts as my "bringing food to the meeting". (Everyone is asked to bring some food to each meeting, a pot luck type deal). I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and bring a bag of chips or something, I'd rather be over prepared than under!

No comments:

Post a Comment