Thursday, September 6, 2012

Goodbyes and New Beginings.

I'll start off with the bad news, I've given up on that dress for the Brunette Ponytail. Sad thing is, I really liked it, but it just wasn't working out. It was just looking too chewed up in places, I even tried making it again today, but had the exact same problems where any spot that I had to remove stitching it looked really beat up. I think it's because while the fabric itself is navy, the backing is white, so when you sew it, it pulls on the backing and makes it show slightly. I think a better sewer could deal with this since they wouldn't have to rip out stitching, but that's not me. I don't think I've ever made anything where I didn't have to rip out one line of stitching at some point. And it's a little depressing that I had to nix this dress because of that, I mean I'm working with cotton, the easiest fabric to work with. I really shouldn't be having such trouble with it! But while I gave up on that version of the dress, I'm not done with it entirely. I still like the style of the dress, I'm just going to find a different fabric for it. I looked through what I already had, and didn't see anything that really that that spoke to me, so I guess I'll have to look for something the next time I'm out. At least I have a plan B, I just wish plan A worked.
Anyway, since I need to go out in order to work on that project you'd think that the most logical step would be to go back to P.J.'s outfit, but when was the last time I did anything logically? I'm being serious, can you think of anything? I know I can't. Instead I started working on something totally different. It was an outfit that was inspired by a pattern I found online when I was doing those searches a couple days ago. It was something that would work for my Blonde TNT flip that was currently on a broken Quick Curl body. The dress was a cute little white sundress, that was covered in lace. I had worked with lace overlays a while ago, but it's been a while. But I was looking over the picture, and thought that I had the materials and the patterns that would work for it, so I decided to give it a go.
I started working with the bodice. The dress had an empire waist, so I pulled out my go-to pattern for those types of dresses. The most notable dress made from this pattern was Charlotte's Regency dress. For materials I went with simple white cotton for the actual dress, and some lace that I bought a while back from the Antique stores on Sunset. I bought it several months ago, but haven't used any of it yet. Finally I had a reason to use it. The bodice went together pretty easily, it's really nothing new. I did have to be a bit creative when placing the lace over the bodice. It really wasn't long enough to totally cover the bodice, so there's a spot at the bottom in the back that doesn't have the lace overlay. I figured that since it was on the back it wasn't that big of a deal, and I do plan on having a ribbon at the waist, it'll cover it, and like I said, it's in the back. Nobody should be looking there most of the time. The skirt gave me the worst time. I wanted the lace to be a bit longer than the underskirt, and to flair out from the waist. I had the hardest time dealing with a curved skirt, and a straight lace hem. I ended up making three different skirts before I managed to make one that was passable. Luckily there's enough lace so I can make mistakes like this. Finally I got the skirt sewn on. After that I started working on finishing it... but... had to admit, it wasn't working.
I tried to ignore it, but the waist was falling at the worst place on the doll. And since there were four layers there, it was having a really terrible bulging problem. It was just not a good look, also the skirt despite my best efforts was looking pretty terrible. So I decided I was going to make it again, with a different pattern. This first dress isn't a total loss. It looks better on Charlotte (not perfect though) since she's got a different body shape. Not sure if I'll end up finishing it for her, but if I do, at least someone can wear it. There are a couple people with that body type in the collection, so I've got my options.
I even worked on the second attempt at the dress today as well. For the new pattern I picked that Twiggy pattern that was too big for her, but worked for Barbie that I used for that Mod doll last month. I did do some tweaking. I ended up lowering and making the neckline square, lengthening the bottom, and trimming down the sides of the skirt. Since this new dress is two pieces (front and back) I had to be smart with how I placed my lace. Instead of covering a seam like it originally did, the ribbon now covers the spot where the first piece of lace ends, and the next one begins. I managed to get all of the machine sewing done for it today, and I really like it, it's an improvement over the first one. I really like it, and I think it's going to be what this doll ends up wearing. I still have to finish it, and you'll have to wait until then to get pictures of it, but I think it'll be worth it.
And I didn't even tell you the best part, I even have shoes that match! Sadly, that's been happening less and less lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment