Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My first full day back in the state!

So now that the Wedding Present project is finished, and my next non-me sewing project doesn't officially start until next week that means that this week I'm free to go back to my selfish ways and do the projects I want, and are only for me.
I decided to work on Charlotte's Halloween costume. When I last spoke of it, I was at the end of my rope with it, but taking that break to work on the wedding present seemed to be the break I needed. So while I wasn't thrilled to be starting attempt number 974 of this dress, I still wanted to make it. I wouldn't throw out the word obsessed, but perhaps the psychologist trying to unravel my descent into insanity might.
I was going to change it a bit this time. All the other times I've made this dress I've made the bodice out of one piece of fabric. I like doing this since it eliminates the shoulder seams, and I have the worst luck with those coming loose and looking really bad. But when doing this, it does mess up the back a bit. Normally it's not a problem, but I noticed a few times specifically with this dress it did create a problem. So by separating the back and the front I was able to fix the back. I also changed the side seams a little bit. In order to eliminate bulk at the waist I needed to lower the skirt of the dress, and so I had to add some extra fabric to the bottom of the bodice to accommodate Charlotte's hips. Satisfied with my changes I cut out my new pattern.
And guess what didn't work? That pattern! (Shocker) And the weird thing is, it was a totally different issue than what I've dealt with before. I'm not sure what I did, but my changes threw off the neck hole, even though I didn't change anything there. I literally traced the old neckline onto the new pattern. But after attaching the bias tape I made to it, I tried it on Charlotte. Instead of fitting flush to her neck, it now gaped in the front, and if I pulled it close to her neck, it threw the shoulder seams off and they were at her shoulder blades. I still have no clue how that happened, but I didn't do any work on correcting that issue today. With this project I'm already so fed up with it, that whenever I have any issues with it, I just need to walk away from it.
Instead I started working on some sewing for another doll. I really don't have much slated for dolls besides Charlotte's Halloween costume. I haven't had much time to do any online research, or even just play around with the dolls in general. I do not think this month any dolls will end up dressed. The only thing besides Charlotte's costume I had an idea for Francie. It's been kicking around my head for a while now, and while I do like it, it'll required working with some difficult fabrics. Also I'm a bit worried about it being a bit boring. But since I didn't want to work on Charlotte's costume at that time, I decided to give it a shot. For this outfit I needed to make an under dress. It's just a simple sleeveless dress made from white cotton. I did need to adapt a pattern for it, but that was easy. I ended up doing all the machine sewing on it today, but when I tried it on Francie, I wasn't happy. I don't think that pattern was the best I could have picked. I don't want the under dress making fit issues for the actual dress. I'll find something better/simpler to use. I ended giving the dress to Charlotte (it looked like a cute nightgown), but in my efforts to make it fit better on her I messed it up. I put it into the unfinished project box, but I really should have just tossed it. I might end up making a new one for her, but I'm on the fence about that. She really doesn't need a nightgown, so I might not bother. I did draft a pattern for a better version, but I'm not sure it will work, and I don't care enough to make a test piece. I may just give up on that altogether and work on something else.

It all depends if I want to try that Halloween costume for the 975th time...

No comments:

Post a Comment