Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Non Stop Tuesday

I'll start off with an apology, I did not manage to work on Charlotte's dress today. I know, I know, I took a poll about what I'm going to do this week, and so far I've managed to avoid working on it. I do plan on fixing that soon though.
Instead of working on the dress, I ended up going out today. In my defense (Boy, do I say that a lot), I haven't been out for a while, and needed to pick up some supplies for other projects that are at a standstill without them. Also, I had a doll sell the other day, so I needed to get that into the mail.
Going off topic, but can I just say that I'm thrilled something else sold? With Christmas coming up I really need to get stuff sold so I can buy people presents. Right now I've only purchased my Mother's present. I still have four more people to buy for. Right now I have decent ideas for what to get everyone else except my sister's husband. Right now it seems like the money I'm getting from this sale will be used for my brother's present. But I'm getting off topic, more about that in later posts.
Anyway, while I was going out to get supplies and visit the post office, I also managed to visit the three second hand stores. Come on, you knew that was coming. It's been a while since I've been to any of them, and you'll never know what you'll find there, every trip is an adventure! I might even end up finding a Christmas present for my sister's husband... I'll cut to the chase, I did not.
I did however find some things for myself (shocking, right?). I didn't find anything of interest at the Christian Second Hand store. They did have several bags of random dolls, but they were all modern play line, and nothing that I needed or thought I could resell. So left them there. I did find a couple interesting things at the Salvation Army. The first thing was a book regarding how marketing has changed the face of fashion. I don't have an extreme interest in this topic, but the small section I read in the store seemed interesting. Also it would be good to have a book kicking around that I kind of want to read in case I find myself needing something small and portable to amuse myself with for a couple hours. And that's not all I found there, I also found a totally adorable music box. I'm not sure about any of you, but I adore music boxes that not only play music, but have added features. This lovely little box has a caged bird that dances and spins along to the music, which I think is really cool. It's made in Hong Kong, with the actual music box made in Japan. So that means it was probably made in the 70's. It is broken a little, one of the weights for the birds perch is missing, doesn't seem to affect the movement though. I've been listening to it all day. The song it plays is "So does the Youth" from the late 60's version of Romeo and Juliet. It also has a nifty little feature I've never seen before on a music box. If you look at the picture there's a post on the box on the left side. That's a stopper you push in if you want to stop the music box. I've never seen one like that before, usually just just have to let the music box wind down naturally. Pretty cool huh? 


After visiting the second hand stores I made my way to Hobby Lobby, one of my main reasons for going out. I had an actual shopping list for there, both items I wanted to buy today and stuff I just wanted to look for and do some price checking. Up first was the pattern section. They had McCall's patterns on sale this week, and I needed two. Well, I really didn't need them, but I wanted them. They're M6669 and M6670. They're both new patterns for American Girl dolls, which means they should fit Chatty Cathy. She hasn't gotten clothes in a long time, and I'm not sure if I'll ever make her anything from either of these two, but they were only a dollar each and you can't beat that price. And if I never use them I can always resell them. The envelope for 6670 is a little beat up, but it was the only one in the store. I wish the pattern companies would make more Barbie sewing patterns, now those I'd really want. I also picked up another sheet of snaps since they were on sale this week. Only one sheet since they only had one that wasn't missing any. I refuse to pay full price for missing snaps!
I also picked up some paint for the Rocking Chair Rehabilitation project. We're finally at that point where I needed it. I got a small bottle of "Antique Maroon", which actually just looks like a brown. I don't know why they named it that. I also looked into some gold paint pens for that project, but the three dollar price tag made me decide I still wanted to do some more price checking elsewhere. I was planning on using the coupon for the pen, but since I didn't end up buying it, that means I still have it available. I ended up buying a new spool of white thread since I know I'll use it eventually and that means the coupon won't be going to waste. That darn coupon, gets my money every single time!
I was also supposed to go to Big Lots when out to pick up some presents for my Sister's Husband, but I ended up skipping it. I didn't have enough time to go both there and Hobby Lobby, and since the Hobby Lobby stuff is on sale and the Big Lots stuff isn't, Hobby Lobby won. I'll just go out another time to get the stuff at Big Lots.
I also stopped in at the Habitat for Humanity while out. They rarely have anything of interest, but I have been surprised a few times. I did check out their fabric section, and since it's mostly upholstery fabrics it usually doesn't have anything that works for my needs. I did pick out a fabric that could work for a coat, but ended up putting it back. I rarely make coats and have plenty of other fabrics to use if I decide to, there's no need to buy more. I didn't leave there empty handed though. I found a small instructional book about learning to crochet. I have no immediate plans to learn to crochet at this time, but I would like to learn at some point in my life. This book looked like a good starting point, plus the front cover was too tacky to pass up. I mean look at that guy's face, he's just so put upon when his silly wife makes him a sweater the arms are too long! The fool!
And finally I found myself at Walmart, but that was a really quick trip to get a grocery item that they didn't have at our local grocery store place. While I was there I managed to get two small table presents for my Mother and my Brother. Slowly but surely I'm making progress on Christmas shopping. At this rate I'll be done before December (Just kidding, it always takes longer then expected)!
But now I'm just going to rest, my knee was a little swollen this morning, and my going everywhere in town certainly didn't help make it better.

1 comment:

  1. that music box is so cute! does Charlotte have a new pet now? ;-)

    ReplyDelete