Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A much needed break...

I didn't do any cleaning today. I know, it's only day two I shouldn't be ready to throw in the towel yet, and actually I'm not (but sometimes I do feel darn close to it). But I didn't get the chance to do any cleaning today because instead I went out. I actually did need to go out because I had to get some stuff into the mail. I didn't mention it, but between Sunday and Monday I had three things sell on my Dollpage, all to different people. I've never had so many sales in such a short period of time from there. So that was nice. Also I needed to go out and get some matching thread for the red calico so I can start working on Charlotte's Christmas outfit. So as you can see, my hands were tied.
And you just know that I had to hit all three thrift stores while out. I didn't find too much at any of them while out. I did get another ornament for my sister, and I found some Aida cloth for my mother. At the rate I'm picking up supplies for her she won't need cross stitch things for a while. I also found something else for her cross stitching, a set of towels that you can cross stitch on. She's been interested in these for a while, but held off getting them because they're rather expensive. I managed to get a set of two for a dollar each. They should have been four dollars, but everything at the Christian Second Hand store is half off because they're moving at the end of the month. It was news to me and my father. They used to have an antique store on Sunset and the thrift store where they are, but closed the antique store and moved that into the thrift store. Now they're moving everything into the antique store location. I'm not really sure why, but I will say I will miss their currant location, it was really convenient being so close to Hobby Lobby. I'm also wondering how much space they'll have at the shop on Sunset, I think it was about half the size of the currant store. I guess I'm going to have to wait until January 18th when they reopen to see.
I also picked up a figurine for myself when out. We stopped into the Habitat for Humanity and I found this darling little kitten. It's marked Japan, so it's old. I normally don't get chipped or broken figurines, but I could not leave this cutie behind. I'm keeping him for now, but I'm not sure if this will be his forever home. Look at that face and tell me you could leave him behind? He ended up being only a quarter!
 And I did stop into Hobby Lobby like planned. I wasn't in there to get much. I picked up a matching spool of thread, comparing it to a swatch of fabric I cut out at home, and some small gold beads. I strolled through the Christmas section hoping to find something small that I could use to jazz up that sheath dress but couldn't find anything. Everything that was in scale was really tacky and wouldn't work. I even looked through the jewelry section to find a Christmas related piece, but didn't see anything. In the end I just got some gold beads. I can use them to add some sparkle to the dress and they are what Mattel used on their sheath dresses, so it is historically accurate. Mine are a bit smaller than the Mattel ones though, I like them better than the next larger size. Using the coupon on the thread I managed to get out of there for under three dollars. If only I was always this good in Hobby Lobby.
I also went to the Dollar Tree today, I've been needed to go for a while but kept putting it off. Although, I managed to forget to look for tinsel which was one of the main reasons for going there. I also couldn't find a pencil sharpener that I needed to get for a present. I however was able to find several of the things I was looking for as well as a couple of extra things that I wasn't planning on getting there. Won't go into too much detail, but I can say that my dad has several more presents for Christmas now than he did at the start of the day.
When back at home I started wrapping the presents I bought while out and updating my Christmas list. At the rate I'm going I'm going to need another empty box to store all the presents in again soon. It's not that it's super filled, there's still room in it, it's just there's some bulky presents in there and some fragile ones and I don't want to overdo it and have anything break. Also the more I add to the stocking presents bag, the more room that takes up, and I keep getting more for that. I'm sure there's plenty of room for several more presents. But this one seems to be filling up faster than the last one.
I also worked some on Charlotte's Christmas dress. We're still at the prototype phase on it. I didn't work on it for too long, but I feel like that I'm making progress. Not sure how quickly I'll be able to make this dress since I can't work on it for long, but at least I'm working on it when I can.
I also worked on the sheath dress some. I added the beads to the front, I like them, but I feel like there's something missing. But I am tired of working on this dress. I ended up stealing some accessories in order to call it finished. She's wearing pearl stolen from a ponytail who's still waiting to be dressed, my blonde Midge's shoes, and my American Girl's purse. I'm still not in love with this outfit, but I'm calling it finished. She's only going to be wearing it for a couple more weeks then I can put it away until next year. Unlike Ashley and Mary Clair, this is one case where I like her day-to-day dress much better than her holiday dress.

1 comment:

  1. love the dress! probably not the look you're going for, but I think a cute red with white trim apron would go well with it. something like one of these...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/daisyvisionxxx/5209960953/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thrifty_misspriss/2456134568/

    ReplyDelete