Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Brief Rant...

I went out today in search of some white fabric. I'm totally out, and I need it in order to finish Francie's outfit. I knew that Hobby Lobby wouldn't be able to help me (plus I'm still trying to stay out of there this month), so today I was checking out Walmart's fabric section. But in a very familiar situation, I was unable to find any white cotton fabric that wasn't incredibly see-through. I believe I looked at every bolt of white fabric in that entire section trying to find something that would work, but I was just not able to find anything that wasn't practically a sheer!
And I know that I'm a cheapskate, but even the expensive stuff wasn't any better than the cheap stuff in terms of thickness. I learned that lesson the hard way when I shelled out the big bucks for that expensive calico remnant at Hobby Lobby to find the entire thing basically useless. And it was the same thing here. No matter the price point I could easily see my hand definition from the other side of the fabric. The only thing I can think of doing is to do two layers of fabric which drives me crazy because I shouldn't have to do that in the first place and it adds way too much bulk for my liking. Other than that I am literally out of options, and it's annoying as all get out. You'd think decent white fabric would be pretty easy to find, I mean cotton is white!

So, let me ask you dear readers, where do you buy your white fabric? Is there a recourse that I'm missing?

My kingdom for white calico!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't bought white fabric for a while, but the most opaque stuff I found was in the home decor section (at Hancock's I think). it was labelled as black-out curtain lining. I can't remember the price now, but it is thicker than normal fabric, and won't drape well in such small pieces.

    something I've considered trying (but have not done yet) is buying flat sheets to use for fabric. they're usually pretty cheap. might run into the same see-through problem there too though.

    ReplyDelete