Monday, January 21, 2013

A less that successful hunt

This morning I started working with Stacey's dress again. I picked up where I left off last night. Using the muslin I made yesterday I quickly identified the spots that it still needed some major refining. Using pins I did some quick tweaks to try and figure out the best way to fix them. But that's as far as I got today.
I ended up going out instead. I know, but the dress wasn't really calling me. I didn't remember this morning that today was Martin Luther King day, so places might be closed, but I was already ready to go, so whatever. The first place I ended up was the Antique Mall. They still have the second window up, so I wasn't there to do that again, instead I was there to look at that coat again. I was curious if it was the rarer TM version, and what kind of condition it was in. Turns out it is the more common R version, and it has a stain. It's at the bottom of the coat and is on both the lining and the brocade on the other side. I'm not really sure how well something like that will come clean, so I still need to do more thinking about it. Has anyone ever dealt with cleaning something like that? I'd be willing to live with a stained lining, but not the brocade. I need to do more research on the topic. Since I already had the case opened for me so I could look at the coat I poked around a bit to see what else was in there. I also found in it a complete vintage Ken Sport Short outfit for 20. It looked to be in decent condition, but I held of getting it because that's kind of an expensive purchase at the moment. Turns out that was the right choice because apparently I can get it considerably cheaper on E-bay, even adding in the cost of shipping.
The Ken outfit did inspire me though. When I found it and was thinking about eventually getting it I was thinking about who would wear it if I got it. I only have three dolls that could wear it, two Ken dolls and one Allen. I decided that it would work for the Allen. He's my only Bend Leg doll and I really want to show off his legs, so the shorts would be perfect for that. But that was before I decided to not get the outfit. After I had decided against it, I thought, why can't I make my own version of this outfit? I had already made my own versions of that outfit (and you could even argue my Canadian Ken was already wearing my own take on this outfit). I could make it for Allen picking colors and patterns that would work for him (I didn't think the original outfit would really work for his coloring). I had some nice green fabric that I thought could really look great on him for the shorts, but I didn't have anything that would work for the shirt. But since I was out, I could easily make a couple stops and see what fabrics were available around town.
Up first was Walmart, I was already heading there for something else, so it was just as easy to stop into the fabric section. I looked at every bolt they had, and while I saw a couple things could have worked, I didn't see anything that really jumped out to me. So I ended up not getting anything from there. I did however find some cookie cutters. They were a set of four "fashion something or others". They're in the shape of a sheath dress, a formal dress, a coin purse, and a high heel. I was mainly interested in the shoe one since the Doll Club members are called the "pink heels". Now the next time I make sugar cookies I can use this cookie cutter and color the dough pink and bring some pink heels to the meeting! They were on sale for a dollar, usually two, so I figured for the buck they'd be worth it.
I also stopped into Hobby Lobby, I know, I still on my one month ban from there. But since I wanted fabric for a specific project I wanted to check out to see what they have. I should have known they wouldn't have anything I needed. They keep letting me down like that. They were actually worse than Walmart since I didn't see anything that could ever come close to working for my project... lame! I did however find a really cool Pucchi print that would work wonderfully for Stacey's dress (maybe someone else too), but it was expensive and not on sale, so I decided to hold off on getting it. I'm not worried about it selling out since the bolt looked pretty full. It was part of their spring line of fabrics, so eventually it will go on sale. And that's when I'll get it. Hopefully by then I'll have Stacey's dress all worked out. So needless to say, I didn't get anything at Hobby Lobby.
Back at home I should have started working on Stacey's dress some more, but I really didn't want to, so I didn't. That can wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment