Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Giving up, and a new Beginning

So I started working on Stacey's dress again.
I hadn't gotten very far on it yesterday, but I was determined to make some progress on it today. I had marked off what I needed to fix in the next version yesterday, so I started to work on my third attempt for the pattern. I wasn't changing too much, I was just changing the size of the dart and the curve of the side seam. So I was able to make the pattern pretty quickly, but testing it wasn't so easy. When I sewed up the muslin, the dress was way too wide. For some reason my changes also added almost a 1/4 of an inch to the front piece, which threw off the fit considerably! I did take it in to see how my actual pattern changes fit, but even after doing that I could tell that the pattern would still need to be adapted. In fact I'm not sure if the tweaks I did today fixed anything or just changed the problems I was having with the dress. I think that right now this dress might be too difficult for me to make. It's times like these I wish I had someone more skilled I could ask questions to. I'm still mainly self taught, and there's only so much you can learn from the internet. I don't think this dress will be happening right now, it's just not working out.
After I shelved that project I was back to not knowing what to do with myself. I did work on the blog some (I'm back to being a couple days behind) and looked online for more vintage inspiration. I didn't type or find much. Instead I turned to something I found a couple days ago. It was a cute blouse and wrap skirt outfit that I stumbled upon. I thought it would work for one of the Ponytail dolls, but after looking at the lines of the outfit and my fabric stash I decided to make it for Francie. It might be on the early still very 50's style of Mod, but it would still be era appropriate. I started with the blouse, I did resize a Barbie pattern to start with, but when I went to go print it out, the printer was out of ink. Not a good start for this project. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.
Since I couldn't work on the blouse, I ended up working on the wrap skirt today. I had done something similar before, but not exactly. So it wasn't totally new to me. I made a quick pattern and tested it. I did have to adapt it some, but my second one looks pretty good. I still have some things I need to work on, but so far it seems to be shaping up. Hopefully it keeps going in the right direction. I'm tired of all these false starts I've been having!

No comments:

Post a Comment