Thursday, January 24, 2013

Quick Updates: Family and Doll Stuff

I'll start off with the good news. I found out today my sister is moving back to North Carolina. I knew that she wasn't happy living in Philadelphia and was looking for a new job, but wasn't sure where that job hunt would lead her. I knew she wouldn't mind living in North Carolina again, but wasn't limiting herself to job searching in the area. But apparently she got offered a job in Durham the other day, meaning she's moving back. Like one town away from where she lived a year ago. She starts in March, which means that once again I get to help her move. Lucky me right? Last time I had to help them move I vowed it would be the last time, but you know me and things that like, of course I'll be helping her come March. Although it could be worse, I could be my father. He has to help them move out of Philadelphia and into Durham since they need someone to drive the moving truck. I guess I should be grateful I only have to help with the final part of the move. Even though come March I know I will be complaining about helping them move (for like the billionth time), I'm oddly excited about her moving back here. I guess I missed seeing her (but don't tell her I said that, I will deny everything).
And for some sad news. I'm thinking of selling one of my Julia dolls. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but the last time I was at the Swell Doll Shop I bought a Julia doll. I thought she was Christie, but it turns out she's Talking Julia's head (Hong Kong) on a TNT body (Japan). I didn't find this out until I took of her head when trying to fix her hair. I wouldn't mind having a mismatched doll like that, except that the head and body are two very different colors, the head is much darker than the body. I tried ignoring it, but today when I was looking at her, I realized I just don't want to keep her as is. I looked it up online and it would be rather expensive to buy a talking Julia body or a Christie (or regular Julia) head, so I think I'm going to just cut my losses. She was my most expensive purchase from there, she cost 20 dollars. I'm not sure if together she'll go for that much, but I think that I'm going to separate her and sell her head and her body separately. I feel sort of bad doing this, but maybe someone is out there looking for a Talking Julia head, and someone else is looking for a AA TNT body. I still haven't decided if I'm for sure going to be doing this. I have a TON of dolls and things to list next month before I get around to that her, so who knows when that will happen. I never thought I'd be getting rid of a vintage doll like this, but here we are.
Anyway, on to what I did today. I ended up going back to that Stacey dress I gave up on the other day. Buying that fabric yesterday gave this project a second chance. I ended up scrapping everything I had worked on last time and picking a new pattern to adapt for it. I wish I could say that today was more successful than the last time I worked on it... but it really wasn't. This new pattern brought about a bunch of issues, some new and some old. So there really isn't much in way of progress on this outfit.

I wonder when I'm going to get the hint that this outfit just isn't meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment