Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gee, That's Swell (Part Two)

No time for long introductions, it's time to get around to finally sharing the last of what I bought in October when I was at the Swell Doll Shop. With his post it means I can finally put it away instead of just living around it! (P.S. The doorknob these things were hanging off of has already been taken over by something else.)

Up first we have this lot of wigs. Not picture is the red headed one that ended up on my Fashion Queen Barbie you saw earlier in the week. Unfortunately that's the only one that fits Barbie. The rest of them are all a bit too small. I tried them on my Ricky doll and they seem to fit him, I think they'd still be too small to fit Skipper if she had any of her original hair. The blonde one does fit my Hong Kong Lilli doll (her head's a bit smaller than Barbie's), but I can't leave it on since the rubber of the wig cap would cause melting to her hard plastic head, and I really do not want that. I'm fine with only one being really useable, Bradley gave me the entire small lot of them for free! And without it, I don't think I would have gotten the Fashion Queen dressed, that wig was the starting point to her entire outfit. Thanks Bradley!

Moving on from there let's talk about dolls. I already shared with you most of the dolls I bought, but there's still a few stragglers. I can't remember if I shared Julia with you yet, and I'm too lazy to hunt down the original posts. I'm not going to bother since she ended up not joining the actual collection. Anyway, up first we have a TLC TNT Barbie. She was one of the last dolls I bought, and one that I was suffering from "buy it all without looking at it" madness. I'm sure you can already see it, but she's filthy. I don't know what this girl's been doing for the past 40 years, but taking a bath wasn't one of them. I washed one of her legs so you can see the before and after of it. It will need to be washed again (darn ground in dirt), but it did come somewhat clean. She does have a lot of those annoying green spots that TNT bodies get on their legs. Her knees both click and hold their pose, so she's got that going for her. I was thinking about just cleaning her up and adding her to the collection as is, but I noticed she has a bite to the nip of her nose, which is one of my pet peeves. I do have a TLC TNT head that I re-rooted in red from a while back, so she might end up with this body instead of her. I really haven't decided yet, I was sort of putting her out of my mind for a while. She only cost me five dollars. I don't remember if I said it, but when I was bringing up my purchases, Bradley ended up just selling a lot of the un-priced dolls to me for five dollars each. I really should wash her again. I don't like having such filthy dolls hanging around.

Moving on to our final doll from October (procrastinate much?) we have someone different. She's not Barbie OR Mattel. I know most of my collection is, but lately (I blame Flickr) I've started a small collection of non-Barbie competition fashion dolls. One of the dolls I've been wanting from seeing her pictures online was Mitzi by Ideal. She was created in the very early 60's by Ideal for Sears company when they ran out of Barbie dolls for the 1960 Christmas rush. Ideal kept making them after Christmas since they were popular, but ended up stopping production after two years when Mattel threatened to sue them. I've been wanting one for a while, but didn't want to pay the online prices for them, so when I found one I added it to my shopping basket. I honestly wrestled with if I should get her or not. I was expecting her to be a somewhat expensive doll, but she ended up being one of the five dollar ones! She's in pretty good shape. Her feet are somewhat messed up, (but that looks to be a molding flaw) one of her arms is a little swingy, and her bangs are messed up. Some of them have been brushed back into her hair. I believe I know how to fix this, but it's time consuming and hair has never been my strong suit. She also has a slight warping to her right hip joint (just doesn't match up as flush as the other side, no mobility issues) and she has some general play wear. Other than that she's in wonderful shape. I really do like her with her Vintage Barbie-esque features but different look. Now I just need to find a Miss Suzette and my clone collection wants will be complete! (Except for the guys, I sort of want an Andy doll.)

So that's everything I bought back in October. Hopefully when I go back and actually have money I won't be so long in sharing everything with you! And I promise you all, there will be a next time (there's only a few months until my Birthday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment