Sunday, June 23, 2013

The First Bit of Clothes

Like I said in my original post, the doll lot also came with clothes, a lot of clothes. It's an odd mix of Mattel, home made, and clone. I'm going to split up the clothes into sections and talk about each group over several days. I'm going to be starting with the handmade pieces (or what I believe is handmade). If you recognize something I don't, feel free to let me know in the comments. I'm always ready to learn!
Let's get to it!

Our first item of discussion is a skirt. It's made from a pretty blue colored cotton fabric. I would assume a
calico type material. It's a nice thick weight for fabric, but still thin enough to work on the scale. It's actually a rather short skirt, it only reaches Barbie's mid-thigh. The skirt is made from a combination of hand sewing and machine sewing. The hem looks to be entirely hand sewn with a hidden stitch, but the elastic casing at the waist was clearly done on a machine. Speaking of the waist, it's a very unusual design. It has your typical elastic at the waist which gathers the fabric, but instead of using the top hem as the top of the elastic casing the casing is started 1/8th of an inch lower. It's a bit unusual and really makes the skirt look really bulky. So much extra fabric at the waist. And they way they did it, almost makes it look like they wanted to show off that design feature. Weird. It looks to be in decent shape. I checked it over and seems to be free from holes or tears. The elastic is still holding, but seems to have relaxed considerably. It does have a variety of stains on it though. I haven't tried washing it yet, so I'm not sure if they will come out or not. I won't be too upset if they won't, I really don't have much plans for this skirt. If I did anything with it, it would be to take it apart and use the fabric for something else. Depending how much is hiding in the seam allowance they might make a cute pair of shorts for Joe. (Assuming the stains come out).

After that we have another skirt! This one is the exact same style and construction as the the first one. It is however a lot longer, this one is maxi length. It's also a different fabric. This is made from a patterned cotton material of white and blue checks. It's a pretty pattern, but a little large for the scale. It has the same hand sewn hem, and the machine sewed elastic casing with the large amounts of fabric at the waist just like the skirt above. This skirt is in better shape than the first one. I did see one small stain on the front, and one tiny pinprick hole in the back. I do plan on washing it, but after that don't have any plans for it. I don't like this fabric as much as I liked the first skirt, so I don't plan on reusing it (assuming that I actually do that with the first skirt.)

Moving on, we have out first dress of the lot. One of the dolls was actually wearing this when I got the lot. I
believe it's made from broadcloth, or at least it feels like broadcloth. It's a deep chocolate brown color. It's a rather simple dress, the top is all one piece (but fully lined), and the skirt is a simple full skirt. The only bit of decoration is the cream colored ribbon with embroidered yellow roses. I won't lie, I think that's a stunning ribbon, really pretty. I might end up harvesting it from this dress if I can think of a good use for it. The fit of this dress doesn't really work for Barbie. It's actually a little bit bigger than she is. Now that I'm thinking about it, it might actually be for Tammy. If it wasn't such a hassle to dig her out I'd try it on her. Oh well, she and this dress aren't going anywhere. It looks to be in good shape. I didn't see any stains or tears on it. I'm sure it needs a washing just like everything else. One last thing, it closes in the back with one snap.     

Next we have a pair of pants. I think our only pair of pants in this section. They are made from a cream on cream seersucker type material (don't quote me on that). They are completely machine sewn. They are carpi length, and use elastic at the waist. The elastic however is completely shot. I could actually hear it snapping as I put it on the doll for the photos. Besides the broken elastic the pants look to be in pretty good shape, other than being a little dirty. I know I could repair the elastic, but I don't have plans to. I can easily make my own pants, and I don't really care for the material these pants are made out of. I think they'll just be washed and stored away.

After that we have something I do like, I believe it's a nightgown.... or a hospital gown. It's a simple polka
dot print cotton shift with raglan sleeves. They actually got fancy with the stitching at the sleeves and the hem and used one of the decorative stitches on the machine. It almost looks like the reading of a heart beat monitor.... I probably wouldn't have done that, it's a bit distracting. I also would had added more snaps, right now it just has one at the neck leaving the rest totally open. It's a little... immodest. The shift looks to be in good shape. I didn't notice any holes in the fabric. I did see some red stains on it though, also the elastic at the armholes are totally shot. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I do like it, but in all honestly, it might be easier to make my own than fix this one. I do plan on washing it, I hope that more staining doesn't occur.    

For our final clothing piece for this post we have a robe. I don't think it's the companion piece to the nightgown, but I could be wrong. It's made from an extremely pale (could be faded) blue/green fabric. I think the material is tricot, but don't quote me on that. It could be any number of things. It looks to be sewn completely on a machine, with maybe a few detailed pieces added by hand. It features lace at the majority of the hems. The lace is actually really cute, and really nice for the scale. It also has two tiny pieces of embroided flowers at the front near the buttonholes. Speaking of buttonholes it has two bound buttonholes at the front. I assume at one time the other side has buttons, but they are no longer there. Instead there's a couple holes where they should be. The robe also has a couple other holes on it, and one spot where a seam has come undone. I'm really not a huge fan of this clothing item, so I have no intention of repairing it. The fabric isn't that nice (feeling or looking), so I don't plan on reusing it either. The most I would ever use on it would be the lace, but that might be too much trouble to take apart than it's worth.

So that's part one, stay tuned for part two! (Hopefully coming soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment