Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Yes, I needed this too!

As you know lately I've been on a bit of a Craigslist kick, checking my entire state for good buys, then dragging my father all over (within reason) to purchase them (if possible). I've been trying to be better about not checking the site as often (I.E. not as obsessive) since I'm currently 99 bucks in the red right now, and I really don't need to be adding more debt. (Or adding other dolls, truth be told).
I had been doing well for a couple days, but ended up getting bored and found myself checking out the new listings. For the most part I didn't see much of anything I wanted, but under the Greensboro section I found someone selling 5 dolls, an odd mix of vintage and mod for 5 dollars. I kid you not, five dollars. Only four of the five dolls were something I collected but for the price I would be willing to take an extra one. They also said there were some clothing including that wasn't pictured. There was only one picture on the ad and it was just of the dolls. I could see that the dolls were wearing a mix of vintage Mattel and home made outfits. I assumed that whatever clothing came with the dolls would be a similar mixed lot.
There was a problem though, the ad had been listed a couple days before I had found it. I had no idea if the dolls were still available. This was a really good deal, so they might have been snatched up quickly. So I sent them an e-mail from my main account, and waited. I didn't hear back from them for a few days, but the dolls were still listed online. So I sent them a new e-mail from a different account. They replied to that one... (no comment). The dolls were still available, and I could get them the next day in the evening. Sold!
The next day my father and I headed out to Greensboro. We had directions, but of course we managed to get lost. We did pretty well for the most part, but there was a turn that was poorly marked and that got us all mixed up. The GPS was no help, so we ended up having to call my mother to have her help us get back on the right path. It was a very tense time for me and I admit I got a bit snippy over the phone. I really shouldn't have, but it's so annoying getting lost anytime we go out.
I did have to call the seller and say I was going to be about a half hour later than I planned, but eventually we found the place. I called them to let them know I was there, met them in the parking lot, they gave me a smaller than a copy paper box full of stuff and even gave me another vintage doll, I gave them their five dollars, and we both went our separate ways. It was over and done with in like five minutes, and I couldn't be more pleased. I was really worried that something would happen to mess up. I was practically expecting the price to be a typo and they really wanted 50, but they accepted my 5!
I made myself wait until I got home to pour through the box. It's an odd mix of homemade, almost mint Mattel pieces, and played to heck Mattel pieces. The dolls are an odd hodgepodge mix too. Out of the six I got, only half of their original bodies are there, and they were all jumbled up. The heads are for the most part in extremely played with shape, bodies are mostly nice though.

Now, there's a lot that came in that box. So much that I'm not going to bother listing it all in one post. Instead I'm going to share one per day until I'm all caught up. I think that will be for the best since I'm so far behind in my posts.

So stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment