Thursday, May 15, 2014

Hello Everyone, Me again

Still not a whole lot going on to report lately, but I wanted to show you some recent findings that I discovered on a doll related front.

I was actually going to share this several months ago, but kept putting it off, which is a common theme for me. With my big push to clear out the stuff I don't want, I've been doing some reorganizing. And the the item I'm going to talk about today is something that should be put away, but I didn't let myself put it away until I talked about it on the blog and it's high time I put it away, so here's the post about it.
Let me start off with a picture:
(First of all, not my picture. I stole this from E-bay, will removed if asked).
I assume most people know what that is. If you don't let me explain. That half doll up there is a cake doll. She's designed with that spike on the bottom so you can stick it into a cake. The cake is traditionally made into a skirt shape then you decorate her and the cake with frosting (and candy) to dress her. If you look up pictures online you can see some really creative examples of doll cakes. This can also be done with a regular doll, you just get the legs all covered with cake. Buying the half doll is cheaper than buying a full doll for the cake and it's quicker clean up.

Now, you might be asking yourself why I bought her. It's not like I have a shortage of full dolls around here that I can shove into a cake. Why would I shell out money for a half doll when I have so many full dolls that would do? Well, I bought her for two reasons. The first one is that her arms look an awful lot like the Mod/70's era Barbie Mexico arms. And since I have been dabbling more into collecting dolls from that era I might end up needed replacement arms for some reason I thought it might be in my best interest to see if this doll could be used as a replacement arm for those dolls. And secondly, I've never had a doll cake before. Yes, it's true that my aunt used to make them and my cousin got several of them growing up but nooooooooooo, I never did. But I informed my mother that this year after purchasing this I will be getting doll cake and that she will be making it.
We are all about righting childhood wrongdoings over here one doll cake at a time. 
(Although, that's literally eating my problems)
Anyway, back to the cake doll. I bought this cake doll at Hobby Lobby, I assume any decent sized store with a cake decorating section will have them. They sell them 3.59 both online and in store. They also sell them in a boxed kit that comes with a pan that looks like a skirt, I didn't bother with that since it was 20 bucks and I just wanted the half doll. I used the 40 percent off one item coupon to make her even cheaper than 3.49. I don't have the receipt anymore and percentages were never my strong suit, but I've given you enough information to crunch your numbers if you're so inclined (Don't forget sales tax). When I bought mine they had 3 on the racks, which is good because I got to pick the best one. I found that the skin color varies with these dolls, the one I got was pretty pink. The first one I looked at wasn't as pink and more tan, but not tan. So just be warned, they do have variations in the colors. They also have other variations, I didn't realize it in store, but the arms of mine are uneven. The right arm is noticeably bigger than the left one, but it's not a huge deal.
I made it into the car before I opened her bag and tried removing her limbs. They actually popped off pretty easily (but I did manage to snap off part of one of the posts later, so they are fragile i.e. cheap). The three posts that hold her arms and head on are a lot smaller than Barbie ones. But they are the same type of set up as the 70's era dolls. I could tell right away that the arms, while looking nearly identical as the Mexico arms, weren't the same. Color me surprised. I thought that since Mattel wasn't using them anymore just licensed the molds to Wilson (or Wilson just used them), but they have different seam lines. The Mattel dolls have a seam line that goes around their wrists as well as going up both sides of their arms, the cake doll has the seams going up their arms (in different spots than the Mattel doll) but do not have the seams around their wrists. But even with this little difference it's pretty clear that the cake doll's arms was copied off the Mattel arms, the shape of the arms are nearly identical. Actually I think the torso is also based off the vintage Barbie torso. While I was comparing the arms to a 70's era doll I had the shape of the torsos were matching up between the two, especially noticeable with the shape of the breasts. There have been some changes (especially to the waist area and knobs), but they clearly have a lot in common. Which brings me to the most important information to impart, while the posts that hold the arms onto the torso are smaller than regular Barbie ones, the arm holes aren't and can fit vintage Barbie. I used a replacement arm post I had and the cake doll arm fit it easily. I didn't put it on an actual doll (I don't have any with their arms off), but it seems that these can be used in vintage dolls. I however would make sure there was a layer of clear nail polish between the torso and the arm since I don't know how the plastics will react.

And a quick note about the neck knob, just like the arm knobs it's also smaller. It's also narrower and more pointed (kind of like an arrow head). Mine was also rough so I had to file it smooth. It can be used with a vintage head, except the head will flop about on it. I was planning on popping off the head the doll came with and putting a vintage head on for my doll cake. It's not like I don't have a shortage of heads around here, and now I won't have a shortage of (Mexico) arms.

But now I need legs. Where will I find legs?

No comments:

Post a Comment