Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Puh, Puh, Puh-lease will you Adopt Me?"

As I've talked about before I'm a member of the North Carolina Fashion Doll Club. I haven't given you an update on it recently, but I'm still a member and I'm still having fun. I'm also getting more sociable within the group, but there's still things I need to work on.
Anyway, today was the annual pool party. I skipped it last year, and was planning on skipping it this year (my fair skin does not respond well to an entire day out doors and I don't feel comfortable swimming in front of strangers/near strangers). However I had contacted Bradley about buying some doll part from him (including the Tammy body that Tina Cassini needed) and he suggested meeting at the meeting so I can buy the parts I needed. So I ended up going (the things I do for dolls, including getting sunburned).

Since I was heading up to Raleigh and with my father we made our usual stops at the two thrift stores that are along the way. The first thrift store was pretty much a wash and I walked out of there empty handed. However the second one, (the PTA thrift store) was a lot more successful.

And I do mean a LOT more successful. 

Let me share with you a picture of what I found there:

Her name is Susie Sad Eyes, and she's in inexpensive clone doll that came out in the 1960's and 1970's. There's several different versions of her, churned out by several different companies during those two decades. She's marked on the back simply with a "Made in Hong Kong". Mine came with her original outfit, a vinyl raincoat, jersey knit tights, and simple plastic boots so we can identify her as a later Susie doll named Susie Slicker. I won't lie, I was very excited to find her. Whenever I see people online share their version of Susie I always found myself drawn to her. I wanted to add one to the collection, but I didn't want one enough to pay online prices for her. I had hoped to one day find one locally, and that was that day! I was so shocked to find her that I bit the inside of my cheek to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Nope, she was real and for the bargain price of 50 cents she was mine! She quickly joined the rest of the dolls (and parts) I was bringing with me to the pool party. I did bring her out for a little bit, but I'm not sure how much she enjoyed herself since she was stuck in her vinyl trench coat for the day and it was HOT. 
It wasn't until we were back home that I took her out of her outfit and examined her clothes and her better. I don't think she was ever played with, other than some light dirt she looks to be in perfect shape. With an inexpensive clone doll like Susie any real play would show. She just needs a light cleaning, but that's it. Even her outfit is in great shape. Her thin vinyl coat is free from rips and tears and her boots don't have any seam splits. Her tights have a little age wear though. The front seam is a little loose, I just think the thread relaxed slightly over time. Also when I took of her boot I found out that her tights were a yellow/orange color under them. I don't think the boots discolored the fabric, I think it protected them. I think that's the color they originally were, but over time they faded where they were exposed. And that's really all that's wrong with the tights, more wear than the other two parts of her outfit, but far from play wear. Those are more issues with the fabric and thread aging. The wear could be a lot worse, they didn't even bother hemming the tights at the top. I'll bet very few of them lasted very long, that thin knit material must have frayed quickly and severely.
But back to Susie. As you can see she's a blonde with straight hair and bangs. She also came as a brunette and less common carrot colored red. (not sure what other hair styles she had). She has a rubber head and arms, and thin blow mold torso and legs. I had seen people rebody these dolls to a Penny Brite body, and I tried that, but Penny is bigger and I didn't like how it threw off her proportions. Also Penny's neck knob was bigger and I was worried it would stretch out Susie's head so she ended up back on her original body. It's not a huge deal, her body is in nice shape. The plastic (especially on her torso) isn't the top quality, but she's just going to be displayed and look sad and forlorn. She will be getting a new outfit first (I'm still debating selling her original one on E-bay). I pulled out the Skipper and similar Sized doll clothing bags and was trying things on her. She's too thick for Skipper clothes, but was a fair fit for Francie (say that three times fast) sized clothing. I had one yellow dress I made without bust darts that fits her okay. It will need several changes to the pattern to get the fit better for her, but it's a nice starting off point. Now I just have to figure out where the original pattern I used to make the dress is. I doubt I threw it out since I rarely throw anything out, much less patterns. But I do manage to always throw out just the right thing I needed to keep.

We shall see, either way, Welcome Susie Sad Eyes, you're very different from the rest of the collection, but you're a very welcome addition!
Now could you please cheer up?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Aubrey,
    great find. I love her outfit.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your Susie! As a kid Susie was one of my favourites. It's a sob story you can read on my blog, (Many times! And thanks for becoming a follower!),and I have tried to replace her many times over! I think she only had the one hairstyle except fr the African American one. Thanks for the tip about Penny Brite bodies. I have a platinum Susie head which I got at a Thrift store,new in package, on one of those craft doll bodies that can't even sit down, and I'd love to rebody her. Maybe I could shave the neck knob down.

    ReplyDelete