Saturday, December 20, 2014

Surprising Finds in an Unsurprising Places!

This week ended with a bit of a down slide. I totally ruined something yesterday by accident, something I literally just got in the mail minutes before. I'm just so upset with myself, I should have just thrown my money in the trash and cut out the middle man.

So that seriously bummed me out, but I'm trying to not dwell on it. But it's hard not to.

Anyway, last Saturday was my December doll meeting. It was our Christmas meeting. We were meeting at noon so I had to leave the house pretty early. However, it wasn't early enough to pass over going to the thrift stores and it's a very good thing we stopped in.
At the first thrift store, I had amazing luck. I walked in and literally straight in front of me was a small plastic tub of dolls. On it was a sign saying all Barbie dolls were 75 cents, which was music to my ears so I quickly dove in. It was mostly early 2000 dolls, but I did pick up a few things of interest. I snagged a Moxie Teenz doll (with a later discovered broken ankle), a Glinda doll, and an Action Man. I did have a random Theresa in my hand for a little bit, but when I couldn't find her missing shoe back into the bin she went. There wasn't too many dolls in the box, but they were all jumbled in together so I went slowly to make sure I didn't miss anyone. I had just put down a recent Ariel doll when I noticed one doll standing in the corner. She had Skipper hands. That doesn't mean much since they used those same hand molds well into the 80's. I pulled back her hair that was covering her face and was very surprised what I found. I'll leave you in suspense for a few more seconds but I will tell you that I immediately picked her up and added her to the other dolls I was getting. Out of all the dolls I had found, she was going to be leaving with me.

What I had found is a mod TNT Skipper. She's one of the older ones made in Japan before they
switched over to making them in Taiwan. She has straight brunette hair. This is my first TNT Skipper with the straight hair and my first brunette. I do have two sausage curl versions, but they're both blondes. So I am very excited to find her, but it's not like I would have turned down a blonde either.
Skipper is in very nice shape, her worst issue is two pin pricks to her right foot. She also has two small tears to the bottoms of her feet, I still have to put glue on
them. When I got her she had a drop of white paint on one of her hands, but some light scraping with my fingernail it came off. I did have to straighten her hair out some, it was mostly in nice shape, but at the very start of her part line it all wants to stray to the left, she's wearing a plastic band over it to try and train it to lay on the correct side. I did so a slight recolor to her nose and two spots on her legs that went pale. It sound like she needed a lot of work, but it was all very minor sprucing up. She really is a stunner. Her hair is nice and full, her makeup is flawless, and her eyelashes are beautiful. She's a wonderful example of the TNT Skipper. I'm just thrilled that she's mine, and can't believe she only cost me 75 cents!

A quick end note, the doll meeting was fun. We didn't have too many people this year so it was a nice intimate group. However it ended rather appropriately at 3:30 with the majority of people rushing out then. I didn't think it would end so soon so wasn't getting picked up until 4. Luckily there were a few people who were still there at that time. The hostess, while gracious, seemed pretty ready to be done with the meeting and get about her Saturday, so I felt kind of out of place. Had I known when the meeting was going to be over I would have planned accordingly. I wrote down the time the meeting ended and hopefully can keep tabs on that to see if there's a pattern so I'm not left feeling uncomfortable like that. 

1 comment: